President Roth With Bill Maher

This week’s episode opens with a one-on-one interview with Michael S. Roth, president of Wesleyan University and author of The Student: A Short History.

Real Time With Bill Maher August 28 Episode Lineup: Molly Jong-Fast, Byron Donalds and Michael S. Roth - IMDb

Maher, who frequently skewers the left, [pointed] out his Democratic fundraising credentials.

“Someone who twice gave the Democrats a million dollars — that’s not enough credentials to come up?” he marveled.

Roth said if he brought $1 million for the school, he’d be welcomed “with open arms,” earning laughs.

Bill Maher blasts academics for trashing Western civilization – and Israel

1 Like

Bill Maher got mogged (so hard!), and President Roth ate, as the kids would say. Roth came across as young-at-heart, humble, and curious, while Maher could barely restrain himself from just shouting “get off my lawn” like he usually does. I broke my embargo of Maher to watch that interview and I’m glad I did.

3 Likes

People, a gentle reminder that this thread is not meant to discuss the merits of any of the beliefs - political or otherwise - of the celebrities taking part in the program. Just the fact that the president of a small, largely unknown LAC was the lead-off guest

1 Like

Totally agree.

But Roth - and I know nothing about him - came off as an ivory tower intellectual with no grasp of the real world.

“I believe when we convince the faculty and show the faculty there is this bias, they will correct.”

Oh, please

2 Likes

When Bill Maher whined about college audiences being too uptight and PC for a gonzo comic like himself (lol), Roth genially reminded him that back in the old days when they were attending college, students weren’t lining up to see Rodney Dangerfield and Don Rickles either.

Just for that absolute chef’s kiss of a rebuttal, I will give him a pass on anything else he said :joy:

4 Likes

I wonder what university president wouldn’t. He is, in fact, an ivory tower intellectual.

That said, I think Roth’s views about political issues are a lot more nuanced and diverse in view than people assume given Wesleyan’s reputation as a home for strident left-wing politics. Rather than beat the drum (any drum), I find that Roth seeks to find solutions to problems and is surprisingly tolerant of opposing political views.

He’s not everybody’s cup of tea, and while, yes, he is a left-leaning NY liberal, he’s not a litmus test liberal of the sort that sets up nicely for Mahr’s punch-line rhetoric.

Well, he did say “convince”. Beyond that, I appreciate the optimism.

1 Like

I also lifted my embargo and did the same. Agree with your take. Roth came off much better than Maher did.

I’ll dig around for the “Overtime” session on Youtube. Curious how that played. Anyone else seen it?

1 Like