Prez Trump & parkland teens, families, Sunnyhook, and columbine meeting

Since I got home, I’ve been watching this NBC show. Students from Parkland, some parents, and others are giving short talks about their experiences. I do not know if this show is local, or national.

Since the school is local, most people I know have some connection. The teacher was a member of a large Jewish synagogue, people live in the same community as his parents, one boy was buried in the same cemetery as I will be, another by my parents. If your child played sports or debate, they have been to that school. My psychiatrist friend has a grandmother and a parent of 2 of the lost children. Just sad.

Are you talking about the event at the White House taking place right now?

Yes. So it is national

Yes. It’s been covered on many channels.

Turning our schools into armed fortresses isn’t the answer and it saddens me to hear that discussed. Our children deserve better. Our teachers deserve better.

I don’t have ideas for a solution.

The national news led into our local HSs and MSs having children leave school and walk to CIty Hall. No one was harmed, and it felt strange to see so many young faces, many carrying signs.

There will be the National School Walkout on March 14 and the March for Our Lives on March 24. There are already more than 150 sister marches listed on Facebook for the March 24 event. So, these will be national events, possibly as large as the first Women’s March.

Tonight there is a townhall on CNN at 9 pm Eastern. I am so impressed by these kids!

I have ideas for solutions, but I’m not supposed to mention them here…

I have this kernel of hope that maybe this time, maybe things will change and it won’t keep happening.

@bookworm you must be very close to me. My kids also walked out to City Hall today, I was there for the whole thing, they were awesome.

Why? Many other public places have security. Airports, court houses, government buildings, sports arenas, banks, high end jewelry stores. We protect our money with security. Why not our kids. It could essentially be done tomorrow. It’s the quickest way to go. No congress required. I know our schools have increased security this week.

A friend attended Alaina Petty’s funeral on Monday and is in Weston now visiting her son. Students walked out of Weston high school today, and other places.

Looking forward to CNN 9pm stand up session show tonight.

I have such pride watching these young people. Here’s hoping they keep it up.

@katliamom, if you want the kids to come home at the end of the day, this may be the only way to go

“Why? Many other public places have security. Airports, court houses, government buildings, sports arenas, banks, high end jewelry stores. We protect our money with security. Why not our kids. It could essentially be done tomorrow. It’s the quickest way to go. No congress required. I know our schools have increased security this week.”

Most schools, at least middle schools and high schools around me, already have school resource officers (cops) stationed at the school ( and I live in a very low crime area). The schools where these shootings took place had armed officers or guards - Parkland, Columbine, etc. At Virginia Tech, one of the first people shot was an armed guard. These attacks happen too quickly due to shooters being armed with killing machines to stop it before damage is done. It creates a false narrative and puts a band-aid on the problem as opposed to finding solutions that eliminate the means and issues of why these things are occurring in the first place.

Other countries are not facing this problem. They took steps that eliminated the problem and it sure wasn’t arming their schools.

There is zero data showing that armed civilians are successful in stopping these attackers. There is data showing they don’t stop it (FBI).

As the number of guns has increased in this county, the more shootings of this kind have risen.

I repeat, our students, our children deserve better, they deserve not to spend their day in a place with armaments. The fact this is being discussed as a possible “solution” for an environment where kids as young as 5 spend their days is mind boggling. Our country is insane. So much for being “the best country in the world”. This is Mad Max, emphasis on mad - delusional, crazy, angry, irrational - all definitions apply.

" if you want the kids to come home at the end of the day, this may be the only way to go"

I think that is a copout and an excuse not to make important and needed changes.

i’m not sure if many people on this site know, but there will be a #MarchForOurLives march next month (the 24th) in DC. i’m planning on attending, and i’m definitely trying to spread the word about it to anyone who may be interested. we young people are going to change this nation. we—children, teens, and adults—deserve better.

We live right by Parkland and I have two high schoolers. Today over 1,000 from their HS as well as hundreds from other local schools walked out all the way to city hall (over 8 miles for some of them) and staged a peaceful protest. Yesterday the other local high school staged a walk out and they walked over 11 miles/ 4 1/2 hours all the way to Stoneman Douglas HS. These kids were amazing - they didn’t originally plan on going that far yet they didn’t stop even when they were sun burnt, sweaty and they were walking barefoot because of their blisters. I was at both protests and I can tell you they were polite, passionate but also scared. I know it sounds terrible to have to have things like guards (actual police, not armed teachers!) and metal detectors at school, but at this point they (my kids and the ones I talked to) are willing to live with it if it means keeping them safe until better laws can get passed.

Our schools are all set differently, but the high school has a few entrances. Only the one that goes right into the main office is supposed to be used during the school day. However many kids have free periods and lunch privilege and are allowed to leave so from what I have seen it seems like there are always tons of people coming and going. There is a fence around the school but as the middle schoolers showed today it is not hard to just jump over it (several of them jumped over and joined the high school marchers this afternoon.)