Princeton Profs Give Exclusively to Democrats

<p><a href="http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2008/01/21/news/19886.shtml%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2008/01/21/news/19886.shtml&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Wow, every single one!</p>

<pre><code>
[quote]
All Princeton faculty members who have given to 2008 presidential candidates so far have donated to Democrats, according to federal records of donations to presidential campaigns from Princeton University employees.

[/quote]

</code></pre>

<p>And your suprised by this?</p>

<p>Ditto at UC Berkeley - a couple of years ago, there was not one registered Republican faculty member -- one 'independent'</p>

<p>I know people will have a cow over this but I'll risk it anyway: isn't it interesting that a MAJORITY (not all, but majority) of highly educated people vote Democrat ;) ?</p>

<p>What cow, katliamom? Obviously it's a conspiracy - haven't you heard?</p>

<p>Yes, intellectuals tend to vote democrat. It's nothing new. With the religious right, it's not much of a surprise, since most intellectuals also tend to be less religious.</p>

<p>"I know people will have a cow over this but I'll risk it anyway: isn't it interesting that a MAJORITY (not all, but majority) of highly educated people vote Democrat ?"</p>

<p>There are many highly educated people who have jobs outside of academia. This statistic is a shame for the students of the involved instutitions.</p>

<p>All this talk of diversity and inclusion, tolerance and exchange of ideas as ideals the colleges are aspiring to, and then this apparent hegemony of thought among those that teach -- not surprising, but somewhat disconcerting nevertheless. On the other hand, maybe the Republican profs just aren't making financial contributions for some reason and therefore we don't know about them ; )</p>

<p>"isn't it interesting that a MAJORITY (not all, but majority) of highly educated people vote Democrat "</p>

<p>I don't know where you get your statistics about all highly educated people to know how the majority votes, but it certainly is no surprise that professor component of the highly educated are Democrats. Nor is it any surprise that the least educated are Democrats.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Ditto at UC Berkeley - a couple of years ago, there was not one registered Republican faculty member -- one 'independent'

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Can you show me the stats on that? I have a hard time believing this. Low percentage, perhaps. None? It's hard to believe. I can think of several quite conservative professors off the top of my head at Berkeley.</p>

<p>Were you thinking a particular department?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Nor is it any surprise that the least educated are Democrats.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Uh, let's see your stats on that.</p>

<p>The least educated tend to be the poorer folk, who for obvious reasons, tend to vote Democrat. Now, there are also some less fortunate people without common sense, who vote Republican.</p>

<p>So much for offering diverse perspectives to the young minds.</p>

<p>Yeah, U-U-Dad, we're really shortchanging those kids on their opportunity to learn about creationism, etc. Darn shame.</p>

<p>Come on kluge, anyone can realize that an all 'left' faculty presents an unbalanced perspective, just as an all 'right' one would. You also know that plenty of people with conservative views, including me, aren't creationists, don't you?</p>

<p>So what..?</p>

<p>And btw since when are Democrats liberals or leftists?</p>

<p>All I can say is, there goes the stereotype of Princeton as a bastion of conservative preppisim:). Darn.</p>

<p>Perhaps what this shows, and I know it's reflective of the Republicans I know, is that even some Republicans aren't supporting the Republican candidates this time around.</p>

<p>Based on the Daily P. article, just 2 people, accounted for 17% of the donations to both political parties. </p>

<p>Likewise just 3 people who made donations, based on this article, made 16.6% of the total contribution to OB. </p>

<p>Are the numbers presented enough to base the a good conclusion about the faculty of Pton? Perhaps the students of Pton are smarter than either you or I?</p>

<p>I actually have a different response to this discussion.</p>

<p>My response is to be surprised about the OP's statement. Why? Precisely because, when it comes at least to the Woody Woo School, the conferences publicized from there appear to be very balanced, very non-politically charged, very non-agendaized, and very thoughtful/intellectual. I actually have not been able to guess one way or another how any of the illustrious contributors/speakers would be or have been voting. That speaks volumes to me about the nonpartisan approach or approaches plural in my own exposure. That includes lectures & events where Princeton faculty or emeriti have spoken off-campus. Relative to so many college faculty pools, Princeton faculty appear "conservative" to me, or at the very minimum, moderate. </p>

<p>So, kudos to you, Princeton profs, for success in separating your personal attitudes from your professional roles.</p>

<p>The least educated tend to be the poorer folk, who for obvious reasons, tend to vote Democrat.</p>

<p>Ive always heard the opposite

[quote]
According to recent US census figures, since President Bush assumed power in 2000 poverty has risen by 7%, the proportion of those without healthcare has risen by 9%, and median household income has fallen by 3%. But where the poor are most numerous, it seems the Democrats are weakest. The 10 states with the lowest household median income, where people are least likely to have healthcare and most likely to live in poverty, all voted Republican in 2004. Not only are they poor, but they're getting poorer. The five states with the steepest falls in income backed Bush.</p>

<p>Indeed, if anything the Democrats' base seems to be among the wealthy. The same census figures showed that seven of the 10 states with the highest median incomes voted Democrat, and citizens who lived in Democrat states were less likely to live in poverty and more likely to have health insurance. And these states are getting wealthier. The five with the sharpest increase in income all voted Democrat in 2004.

[/quote]
</p>