Princeton vs. Yale

<p>Hello, I am an athletic recruit who has been offered liklies at both Yale and Princeton for hockey (Class of 2016). I'm having a hard time making a decision between the two and was wondering if anyone had feedback.</p>

<p>Things I loved about Yale:
-residential colleges with lots of places to develop hobbies in their basements.
-historic feel and prestige equal to that of Harvard
-architecture
-dining halls</p>

<p>Things I loved about Princeton:
-athletic team seems to be a better fit; meshed well with the team
-ease of getting to the train (i.e. Princeton Junction)
-sponsered abroad trips if they're "for your thesis"</p>

<p>Let me know what you think/have discovered!</p>

<p>Yale is your choice , look at the last point you noticed in Princeton.
Good luck</p>

<p>Yale will sponsor trips abroad as well.
I think you should go with the school that has the team and coach that is the best fit, though. As an athletic recruit, that would be a very important component to your daily life, and to your overall happiness at the school, which will affect everything.
Academically, they are equals.</p>

<p>As an athletic recruit from the stone age at Princeton (stone footballs really hurt to catch and especially to kick, although stone hockey pucks were OK), I'll agree with Moonchild here - look hard at the coach and the team, assuming that hockey is important to you.</p>

<p>I would also look hard at your fit to the school and its atmosphere.</p>

<p>I wouldn't base my decision on something like sponsored trips abroad (maybe you will and maybe you won't want to go, and the cost for a trip abroad is relatively small compared to the cost of an Ivy education if you do have to pay for it yourself). The distance to the Dinky train station may seem significant to you now, but you'll spend most of your time on or close to campus, especially if playing hockey - we went to NYC for fun perhaps three or four times in four years.</p>

<p>Bear in mind at the same time that the coach may change and players may change. That happens a lot in college sports. Your class may have three left wings, or the next one may, or the coach could get fired after your freshman year.</p>

<p>The good part is that you have a choice of two great schools (and boy, I hate saying somethign like that regarding Yale).</p>

<p>No one can tell you what you want, but you seem to be leaning towards Yale from what you mentioned here...especially because many of your Princeton "pros" are offered at Yale/not that special</p>

<p>All of the pros you said about Yale could be said about Princeton as well.</p>

<p>People, help me out with my <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/princeton-2015/1230100-plan-action.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/princeton-2015/1230100-plan-action.html&lt;/a> Please?
and in this case, You should look at the school offering you a better sports lifestyle, the better coach and team are the way to go.</p>

<p>You could switch the title of the lists and it wouldn't make a difference.</p>

<p>My son has Princeton as his top choice because of a smaller number of students, less graduate student focus, and wanting to get out of California for school. Yale has been added to his list only in the last month and he has not taken a tour. He will be majoring in physics.</p>

<p>Both are great schools and have much in common. Their locations are, however, quite different. Suburban vs gritty city is a big difference. Some people love New Haven. Some don't. </p>

<p>Also, you may want to factor in the major as the relevant academic strengths of each school vary be area. </p>

<p>You may also want to consider the athletic facilities themselves (and their location--bus ride from campus?).</p>

<p>I don't know about Yale, but Princeton has it's hockey rink right on campus. Dining facilities if you haven't visited are excellent at Princeton also. Princeton has resident colleges also. You need to visit both (overnight if possible), meet the team, attend a class and decide which is the best fit for you.</p>