Proposing new math program for helping students at local library

<p>I got the idea when I realized that my high school had an after school program every day where you could get help with your homework in the school library, but our middle and elementary schools have nothing like this. I'm a rising high school senior and I've already taken up to Calculus AB. I want to start a program at the library in which I would help specifically students who are struggling in math. Math is one of the most important subjects to have a good foundation in because it constantly builds on itself. I was thinking I could help 4-5 graders Mondays and 6-8 graders Wednsdays in groups of 10-15 for about an 1-1.5 hours. We have a downstairs junior section of the library where we could meet. I would test them all and see where they are at. Then I would type up a lesson plan that had games and activities that would make learning math more fun, or at least as fun as math can get. I would quiz the students every few weeks or so and track their progress. I could also try to find 2-3 more high schoolers to help me with this. The only probably is I don't know how I should propose this to the library. Should I talk to one of the libraries, e-mail them, write something up? This, to my knowledge, would be the first regular program the library has had. The librarians at this particular library aren't the easiest to approach. Most act 20 years beyond their age and may not initially fly with the idea that we would have to make some noise.</p>

<p>Are you talking about your school library, or the public library? Getting kids to come for "math class" could be pretty difficult. You might have some luck with a "math club" concept, but likely you would mostly get kids who already like math. It can be pretty hard to get younger kids (lower/middle school) motivated on their own to come for homework help or what they would perceive as "extra math class".</p>

<p>If I were you, I would write up a proposal outlining what you plan to do, who it would be for, how the community would benefit, how it might work logistically, and how you would draw kids to the program. That gives you something to show the librarians or anyone else you approach regarding using their space and/or resources.</p>

<p>You might need to be flexible about where you do this. If there is an after school program at the lower school or middle school, they might welcome a "math club" with a tutoring element. After all, if the librarians are too stuffy, they might think that math doesn't really belong in the library... And you are right, a noisy activity probably isn't going to fly. And the school is likely to have space.</p>