PSAT Results

<p>My brother just received his PSAT scores from his school. His scores were as followed: 47CR 46M 45WS, his selcetion index was 138. His is currently a sophomore in HS and has hopes to go to an Ivy or top 30. What would his score be? Is that good or bad? Please explain to me. I'm a senior in HS(accepted ED to Penn). I took my PSAT once during HS an never got my scores except when I received a letter stated that I was Nat'l Achievement</p>

<p>the test is outta 240, and in most states to get semifinalist it is around 208~ish...varies from like 202 to 223 or something depending on state. ur brother's converted SAT scores would be 470 V, 460 M, and 450 SAT II writing. i'll let u interpret the scores as you like.</p>

<p>Ariesdrgn has the right conversion. For National Merit Commended Scholar, a student needs to score 200. For semi-finalist, it varies from state to state. For National Achievement, I believe the score has to be in the 180s or higher. Since your brother is a sophomore, he has time to practice to improve his scores. The best thing is to use the PSAT results to identify areas of weakness. When your brother got his scores back, he should have gotten the report that showed which questions he answered right and which he answered wrong. Perhaps the math questions he answered wrong he had not yet covered in class when he took the PSAT. If so, he should get a copy of the 10 Real SATs, and do some practice tests as soon as school is over and see how much of an improvement he has achieved; and then and do some practice for the PSAT that will count, in his junior year.</p>

<p>bball -- just add a zero to each test score approximate the SAT. Thus, his Math converts to a SAT of 460, Verbal - 470, and (old) SATII Writing 450. Note, since he took the test as a Soph, his scores are curved against other Sophs, and not Juniors. At the top right of his score sheet will be a % rank, against other Sophomores. </p>

<p>Congrats on Penn.</p>

<p>Congratulations on your Penn acceptance!</p>

<p>Your brother's predicted v, m scores for the junior year PSAT would proably be around 520, 500. Even with an increase of 100 pts. on each part by senior year, that would be a tad low for Ivies. The National Achievement Scholarship program doesn't publish what their cut-off score is, but from what I have seen, it must be around a 190 index score. National Merit commended typically is about 200-202.</p>

<p>My advice is for your brother to buy PSAT/SAT practice books, and to practice regularly, at least an hour or 2 a week, more during vacation times. He also should use the free prep offered by, I think, the College Board site. I think that they gives some tips plus a practice test.</p>

<p>It also would be important for him to take the toughest curriculum that he can, preferably AP and preAP courses. In addition, he needs to read extensively -- classic literature, newspapers, news magazines like Time, and take the time to look up unfamiliar words.</p>

<p>All of this can make a big difference in his junior year scores, and the better he does on the PSAT and SAT, the more options he'll have for college, including in terms of getting good merit aid offers.</p>

<p>It would certainly help if your little brother could improve his projected SAT scores, but he has to work hard and get good grades too. And of course if he is a great bballplaya, that will help too !! :) Congrats on your acceptance to Penn. Will you be playing bball?</p>

<p>How are my chances of being commended National Achievement with a psat index of 172?</p>

<p>I think the Commended cutoff is 200 all over.</p>

<p>I had at least a 196 if not a bit higher and never got anything about those achievement things.. but that was a couple of years ago, so maybe things were different</p>

<p>National Achievement is the NMSQT's award for black high school students. The cutoffs may be different than for National Merit Commended or Semi-finalist.</p>

<p>There is a cutoff for National Achievement's Commended Scholars - but NMSC won't release it - it's probably pretty close to 200. There are "roughly" 5,000 commended Achievement Scholars. </p>

<p>Bball's little brother might improve with self-study and time (he's only a sophomore).</p>