PSU (University Park) Class of 2019 Decision Thread

@PSUGradMom. hmmm…that’s interesting. Maybe she’s being re-evaluated. ?? What was her major choice? We got the “two week” status on Monday and it changed to “coming days” this afternoon.

Accepted DUS Fall UP
GPA: 3.7 (W)
ACT: 27
Rank: N/A
Location: Illinois
Essay: First draft of first essay I wrote
Recs: Did not send
EC: 300 hours of community service, 2 sport athlete, 2 internships, executive board of club
Comments: Very excited. Will visit and then decide on committing or not

@gildak I may have asked you this already…did your daughter apply by priority deadline? The stats change for those who apply after. I don’t know…if it were me, I’d wait to get a decision in the portal then call back and talk to a different counselor. But that’s just me and I’m a pain in the ass. (they probably bleeped out that word, lol).

It really makes no sense and I completely understand the bewilderment and disappointment from parents and students who were denied only to see others with lower stats get in. My only guess is that Penn State DOES look at way more than GPA/SAT when making a decision. My D had a 3.4 but had a 28 on her ACT, which is almost a 2000 SAT comparably. We knew it could go either way because she was borderline for GPA but not for ACT. Tons of EC’s, parent legacy etc…We even thought she might get Fall just because we saw kids with her same stats getting in for Fall. But she ended up with summer…and in this competitive year, I am certainly not complaining!

I think comparing the GPA is really hard though. At my D’s school an A is a 95. So when you see lower stats, they might actually come out higher if the school they are from is more rigorous than your child’s school. But since none of us know the scale used for Penn State to re-configure grades - it’s nearly impossible to compare the GPA’s of those getting in…especially if they are only off by a little.

@Nikki1079 I was wondering about you. It could be because of the SAT scores getting there in December. Maybe you were pushed to the next wave. I hope you find out soon!!!

@5melissa1234 Congratulations! All it will take is one visit, and you will commit. Something so special about State College and Penn State.

@jihpsu. Thank you for your input. I joined the group late, but see that you have been great with everyone - and I certainly appreciate. Yes my D applied prior to 11/30. You are right. I am waiting for the portal update. Who knows, maybe that counselor was wrong. I asked if there was anything we could do for reconsideration, and he said no. It is strictly the school’s decision and they look at everything combined. She had AP classes, national honor society, involved in sports and clubs, held leadership positions, etc. Her downfall was not a great SAT score, but I really thought her GPA would make up for that to be in for the summer. I’m not familiar with ACT - so wasn’t sure what those scores means. But wow, if a 28 is close to a 2000 SAT - that is awesome. SATs are my D’s downfall. But… I will try to not get totally discouraged until we receive the updated portal.

I am very upset. Is there anything we can do to switch from an offering to Altoona to UP?

Actually, my son was just accepted! Smeal College of Business
SAT CR800 M700 W620 GPA 3.94
Good essays and recs.
Homeschooled.

@MomofJDJJ Congrats! That’s a tough school to get into. Great stats!

@MomofDJJ Congrats!

@nPSUk21 Ugh…I know it’s hard. I wish everyone got in. What did your sister apply for? Some majors were fiercely competitive this year. If she didn’t apply DUS, she could probably call and ask to be re-evaluated for Fall or summer in DUS or other less competitive major. They won’t re-evaluate without a change in major or starting session. I’d ask to talk to an admission counselor because they are the ones that can make that determination. They are usually available after 1…but you may be on hold for a while. They are getting a ton of calls.

That being said, Altoona is the easiest campus from which to stay involved at UP. If she can’t get reconsideration, maybe she can re-think Altoona?

Got accepted!! University Park~ wahoo :slight_smile:

@gildak…Your daughter would have definitely gotten in (probably fall) if her application had been turned in prior to Nov 30. I know that doesn’t make you feel any better. I’m so sorry. It’s the worst feeling, I know. I agree with @jlhpsu, call again and hopefully you will be connected to a different counselor. I would stress the alumni thing. I thought I would do the same if my D was denied…even though my sister told me to keep things in perspective ( basically telling me to KEEP IT TOGETHER!), I was still prepared to make that call and practically beg…I know, demeaning, but I was willing to go there.

@kmcpsu @gildak 's daughter DID apply by priority…that’s what makes it so crazy…

Oh I read that wrong!! Totally makes no sense. I also don’t understand the counselor revealing her decision over the phone. That never happens and hopefully leads me to believe that it is not correct or final.

@gildak‌ She applied for Architectural Engineering. After speaking with a really nice “Amanda” in admissions the afternoon after she was denied, we emailed to be reevaluated for DUS either fall or spring. Although Amanda said it was unlikely she could get anything other than a branch. If that happens, she will keep Altoona as an option, but she visits WVU on Feb. 16. Then she will have to decide what is really important to her. Some really tough choices ahead. Some things to give up, some to gain I suppose. She was already accepted to engineering at University of Cincinnati, but I think she’s already decided against going there. (Although she loved the campus.) Unless, of course, some wild financial aid comes through.

@kmcpsu‌ I wish legacy counted more. Double legacy plus one sibling currently attending, alumni assoc member, all didn’t mean a hill of beans for consideration.

Wait did everyone receive the “two week notice” on Monday? Because I never received that and my application still says “reviewing credentials” as it has been for the past 5 months

@jlhpsu‌ I don’t know. I’m so confused, they told me they were going to leave me as priority deadline as that has the best chance of admisson and they were unable to give me an answer on whether my new SATs would be used or not used. Still disappointed about the fact I was given wrong information from the beginning though

@PSUGradMom…well I’m thinking it’s a good possibility your D may receive UP with DUS. My oldest got a branch campus originally (4 years ago) and when we changed to DUS she was accepted to UP a few days later. But counselor said more competitive this year - but I bet there is a good chance. Fingers crossed!

@kmcpsu; @jihpsu; I’m re-playing the conversation over and over in my head, and am wondering if I interpreted his words wrong - because I didn’t think they could tell you a decision. Here’s how convo went: I asked if D could switch to Fall with Summer as an alternative. (She applied strictly for Summer). He said it wouldn’t make a difference because we already evaluated her for summer. I said, are you saying if she hadn’t been evaluated yet, she could have switched or are you saying she wouldn’t have gotten in for the Fall anyways? He said I’m saying it wouldn’t make a difference because she didn’t qualify for summer. A bit dumbfounded and wanting a little clarity - I said are you telling me she didn’t get accepted for summer either?. He said I’m telling you your best bet is a branch campus. We had a bit more conversation after that, but basically I interpret all of that as being rejected from UP for Fall and Summer with hopes she will get accepted to branch. No update on portal status yet.

So did everyone who is still waiting to hear get that two week notice thing? Because I didn’t receive that at all and am worrying because I should be under priority as I applied September 1st and counselors told me I am priority many times even after a bit of a misunderstanding too. I am still under reviewing credentials as I have been since september.