public service loan forgiveness

<p>Does working at a foreign country's embassy count (German embassy in D.C.)?</p>

<p>I honestly don't know...but I seriously doubt that working in a foreign embassy would cancel</p>

<p>It would depend on how you are employed there. If you are working in the capacity of a U.S. State Department employee in the embassy, then yes. If you are working as a German employee for the German government, then no.</p>

<p>You have to have been employed full time in a public service job for 10 years (after 2007) and made 120 payments on your loan before it can be considered for the public loan forgiveness program. As the payment term for Stafford loans is 10 years, you would have to be making an income low enough to be paying reduced payments for there to be anything left to forgive. Deferment and forbearance periods do not count toward the 120 payments.</p>

<p>FinAid</a> | Loans | Public Service Loan Forgiveness</p>

<p>I doubt working for a foreign embassy would count as public service or that the pay would be low enough for you to qualify.</p>

What is a public service job? Does this mean working for the government?</p>

<p>Public service jobs include teachers, first responders (policy, fire, EMT), public librarians, social workers, public defenders and prosecutors, and people who work for tax-exempt charitable organizations. It also includes people who work for the government and the military. (Members of Congress are not eligible.) If your job doesn't qualify for public service loan forgiveness, you can still have the remaining debt forgiven after 25 years in the income-based repayment plan.


<p>FinAid</a> | Income-Based Repayment and Public Service Loan Forgiveness FAQ</p>