Q about academic calendar

<p>Hi,
I am a prospective transfer student hoping to matriculate in the fall 2012 semester trying to cement my summer plans. The friend that I want to travel with has summer session at a community college until August 9. According to the academic calendar, the fall semester starts on August 16th but instruction begins on August 23rd. Could you explain to me what happens during that week? If I must be at school (with the hope that I will be accepted to Berkeley) then I will have no choice but to travel within a very specific time frame (Aug 10-Aug 15) but we wanted to have an entire week since we are considering leaving the contiguous US for Oahu. (I've been saving up for my first big adventure for years so I'm really looking forward to Hawaii and bummed out that I might not be able to go)</p>

<p>Thank you for your help,
M.</p>

<p>Classes don't officially start until August 23rd. Therefore, you can vacation up until then if you so desire. However, I suggest that you come here by monday of the week that classes start to take part in the different welcome events. Additionally, move in for the dorms start the saturday before the first week of classes as well. Therefore, you don't have to come back by August 16th but perhaps by August 18th would be good.</p>

<p>Oh, okay! That makes much more sense to me now.
I'll most likely travel from August 10 to August 17 and I'll still be able to participate in most of the welcome week activities. I live in San Jose so I think it won't feel like too much of a time crunch coming from Hawaii then going to school.</p>

<p>Thanks for being so helpful (and so quick to respond!). I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>What do you plan to do on Oahu?</p>

<p>If you like raw fish, look for the poke bar in any grocery store (poke = marinated sashimi).</p>

<p>My friend has a cousin who lives and works there so we're going to stay with her. I'm definitely up for anything though! I like sashimi - I'll be sure to check out a poke bar. If you have any other suggestions please tell me :)</p>

<p>Pearl Harbor visitor center: get there early to get a ticket for a time for the Arizona Memorial. If it is about an hour away, you can spend it in the free museum there. If it is two hours away, you may want to buy a ticket to see the Bowfin submarine and submarine museum. The Missouri battleship (another ticket) can take all afternoon; the Oklahoma memorial is next to the Missouri. There is also an air museum (another ticket).</p>

<p>Le`ahi / Diamond Head: Hike up to the top for some nice views. $1 walk-in fee; there is a parking fee if you drive in.</p>

<p>Various trails in the forested hills: Some nice hikes there.</p>

<p>Beaches: of course.</p>

<p>Bishop Museum: You can spend a day there looking at exhibits of Hawaiian culture and history, geology and biology of Hawaii, and planetarium shows such as how the Hawaiians navigated to Hawaii.</p>

<p>You will only need warm weather clothing. Public transit buses do go useful places; see <a href="http://www.thebus.org%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.thebus.org&lt;/a> .</p>

<p>I'm definitely going to Pearl Harbor. Besides the Arizona Memorial and free museum, which of the other exhibits did you enjoy the most?</p>

<p>Le'ahi sounds great - I love hiking. I did a quick search and there seem to be really steep stairs. I'll need to bring good shoes.</p>

<p>Beaches: of course.</p>

<p>and yes, we're probably going to take the bus a lot.</p>

<p>Thanks again for your input :)</p>