Question about engineering programs in Texas.

<p>I was thinking about trying to get my engineering degree. I would start off at a community college first and then move on to a university. Ive been looking over various degree plans, and my question is if I attend a cc for 2 years and then transfer, would I still be looking at going to a university for four years in an engineering program? So am I looking at a total of 6 years in school? All the courses seem to have to be taken in order, is it possible to take the rest of the classes at the university in 2 or 3 years? </p>

<p>Another question I have is what is the acceptance rate for older students? I will probably be 37 when I apply, is this a positive or negative? Thanks</p>

<p>Usually it takes about 3 years at the university after finishing 2 years at the community college... usually.</p>

<p>Would you say that they are cramming their courses in to get it done in 3 years, or is just a normal course load per year for that major.</p>

<p>To be honest, none of my close friends took that route so I honestly don't feel I can answer that accurately. My feeling is that is a normal course load though.</p>

<p>cool, thanks.</p>

<p>I suspect it would be hard to get into UT or A&M engineering from a community college since they are nationally ranked in several engineering programs. </p>

<p>Before one can aim for engineering, one has to decide what type of engineering. If you know which engineering, you can check the department requirements for graduation to determine how long it takes. From what I heard, engineering requires a lot more credits than other concentrations at UT and A&M which is why 3 years is being suggested in addition to 2 years outside. It is actually hard to get a degree in 4 years if you enter with no AP or other college credits.</p>

<p>Yea I have no doubt it will be tough getting into those 2 schools from this route. Think the only chance I may have is that being an older student may help with admissions, who knows. But might as well aim big, from what Im reading UofH doesnt have too bad a program either. It would be alot cheaper for me as well, considering Im in Houston.</p>

<p>U of H has a great engineering program. What do you want to study?</p>

<p>As state universities, UT-A and TAMU likely accept significant numbers of transfer students from community colleges.</p>

<p>Generally, if you transfer to a university as a junior, you will need four semesters of normal course load to complete a bachelor's degree. However, with some majors (often including engineering majors), some of the freshman and sophomore level courses are not available in your local community college, so you may have to use some of your schedule taking "catch up" courses (usually sophomore level engineering courses like electronics, materials, statics, computer science, etc.; freshman and sophomore level math and physics for engineering students are generally widely available). This may require you to take an extra summer session or extra semester, or take greater than normal course loads to finish in four semesters.</p>

<p>What you likely want to do at community college is:
* Complete all of the math (typically four semesters' worth including a year of freshman calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations) and physics (for engineering majors, usually three or four semesters' worth) available.
* Complete the needed amount of chemistry and/or biology courses for your major (if any are needed).
* Complete any available transferable engineering type courses applicable to your major (electronics, statics, materials, computer science).
* Complete as many as possible of the English composition, humanities, and social studies breadth courses required for your engineering degree.
* Complete any other needed course for your engineering degree, if available at the community college.</p>

<p>UT-A has extensive documentation for prospective transfer students here:
Transfer</a> Resources | Be a Longhorn
Cockrell</a> School of Engineering | Be a Longhorn</p>

<p>You should be able to find similar documentation at TAMU and UH.</p>

<p>Biomedical, mechanical, or petroleum. I know UH offers a minor in nano. Not really sure which one yet.</p>

<p>Biomedical will likely require general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology. Petroleum will also likely require general chemistry and organic chemistry. Plan for including such courses in your schedule if you choose one of these majors.</p>

<p>It is ok to take extra semesters at community college before transfer -- that would likely cost less than taking extra semesters at a four year school after transfer.</p>

<p>thanks uc, looks like a long road lol.</p>

<p>But not an impossible one. Some students in California do two years at a community college, transfer to Berkeley as engineering major juniors, graduate after two more years, and later go to PhD study at the top graduate schools in their majors. I see no reason why it cannot be done in Texas by a good motivated student.</p>

<p>My only fear is that I would be getting into the game late, not sure how employers would view a new engineer at almost 40. I know I'd still have a good 30+ years to work in the field.</p>