Question about essay prompt

<p>"Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you."</p>

<p>Does this person have to have physically been in our lives (parents, siblings, etc.), or can they be people we haven't come in contact with (Presidents, individuals deceased before we were born, etc.)? </p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>If it makes sense then it'll work. That's all there is to it. If you can show that this person has had a truly profound impact on your life then you have every right to write about it. </p>

<p>The only problem I can see is that it might be hard to call upon personal experiences in your essay. It would be wise to avoid an essay that floats primarily in the abstract, explaining the reasons for the impact rather than showing the reader. An essay which progresses from thought to thought without anything ever "happening", can turn out very dull. I'd recommend that you don't spend too much time explaining why that person is qualified to make the impact (because this could easily get boring if you've never met them) but instead focus on how they've changed you so that your essay has more of a worldly presence. After all, anyone can write about how awesome George Washington or Batman is. You just have to make sure that you can prove that you're choosing your person because they had a real impact on you, not because it would make the essay easier to write.</p>

<p>Of course, writing is a (liberal) art and you are free to do as you please. There is no right way to do it- this is just my opinion.</p>

<p>Ok I see. Thanks, Frever.</p>