Question about how signature programs affect your chances of getting admitted in.

<p>I'm a sophomore, about to be a junior in high school, and we have this thing called a signature program. I don't know if it's also in other high schools, but it is if you take a certain number of classes specific to a field like music, art, or computer science, then you get a signature program certificate in that field. </p>

<p>So I'm going to choose Computer Science as my major when applying for College Park, and I know that if I get the signature program certificate in Computer Science, it will look better on my application. The question is, do you guys think that College Park really cares about that? Is it really worth it? I'm taking some music classes that I really like and to get the signature I need to drop those classes but I don't really want to. Would it increase my chances of getting in by a lot if I get that signature, or would it be similar if I took a smaller amount of computer classes and some music classes?</p>

<p>Well, that depends.</p>

<p>If you are likely to be admitted to College Park regardless, I would not drop the music classes...take the classes you like. </p>

<p>If you feel you are a borderline applicant, it may help to take the extra comp sci classes so that your recommendations are a little stronger (make sure your guidance counselor testifies to the fact that you did well in/are interested in comp sci more than other students at the school, as signified by your signature certificate). However, your interest in music also rounds out your application and adds something to it imho. Tough call.</p>