Hi all. I have a sample lesson scheduled for later this week, but I’m not sure if I should attend. I found out today that I was redirected to a BA at this conservatory and because of that, I’m not fully considering it. I don’t know if I should attend the lesson to receive feedback or if I should cancel it. Thoughts?
Personally I would suggest still attending. The sample lessons my daughter has done over the last month have been at the request of the faculty member, so they were free of charge. Even if redirected to BA, I would say… a lesson is a lesson and it can’t hurt to get screen time and be seen and heard from a faculty member. Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Thank you so much for your help! I agree and will attend the lesson!
Yes, take the lesson if still offered. VP is a small world. You may run into the teacher again. The teacher may remember and think of you positively. Connections matter. And, you may learn something from the teacher. And if for some reason it doesn’t work out…you still did the right thing by remaining open to learning opportunities.
One note: You do not need to show all your cards at the meeting. You can simply say it’s still early in the process of getting acceptances so you’re trying to keep all your options open. You do NOT need to explain that you will not go to the school. However if the teacher indicates that they are very busy and time is tight so they are checking your level of seriousness (doubt this will happen but it could) then you should think hard and answer honestly…if the school is really still, kind of, maybe in consideration or absolutely not. My D did get this kind of communication from one school and bowed out. In hindsight, she wishes she would have stayed open-minded and taken the lesson. She knows now it would have been OK…they were just trying to weed out people and after all the money and effort, she certainly could have done the trial lesson…bc you never know…