Question Regarding ACT Writing

<p>Okay so on CollegeBoard's page for Dartmouth, I noticed it said that if submitting the ACT, the writing section is required.</p>

<p>However, right below that in a chart covering the SAT/ACT essays and their uses, it says that the ACT will not be used for admissions, placement, advice, or anything else.</p>

<p>If the ACT isn't used for anything, why is it required? Is this just a mistake on the website? Just curious.</p>

<p>My guess: to prove that you are the one that took the test (handwriting).</p>

<p>ignore what you read on collegeboard, which is often out-dated (and of course, favors its own testing). Go directly to Dartmouth's site and read it instead.</p>

<p>I checked Dartmouth's site before I posted this thread. All I could find was that the writing section was required with the ACT; it didn't say what it would be used for.</p>

<p>Your posts are unclear....are you asking if the Writing section of the ACT is used for "anything" or if the ACT (in general) is used for admissions?</p>

<p>Dartmouth's website is clear: the ACT+W or SAT is required for admission. Thus, the ACT+W is used for admission if you don't submit the SAT or your ACT+W is higher than the SAT.</p>

<p>Few colleges are yet doing much with the essay portion of either test because they only have a few years' experience with it.</p>

<p>I'm asking if the writing portion of the ACT specifically is used for anything. It doesn't appear to be, but is required nevertheless (which confuses me).</p>

<p>They may use it for determining the Freshman Writing class.</p>