Questions about Early Action

<p>Premises:
I would be happy to attend any single one of the universities I am applying to.
However, I don't want to be restricted to one, on the basis of aid and the fact that I don't know where I would be happiest. (Essentially rules out ED)
I have the time and capability to complete the applications for Early Action schools early.
However, I heard that EA applicant pools are sometimes more competitive than RD pools, and that the higher admission rate is faulty when interpreted to mean ease of admission.
Despite that, being deferred on EA is essentially like being given a second chance.</p>

<p>The schools that I am considering and can apply EA to are:
U Chicago Economics
Rice Economics
Georgetown International Political Economy</p>

<p>Other universities:
UT's Business/Engineering Honors programs
NYU Stern BPE program
UC Berkeley Business or Engineering
Northwestern Engineering
UPenn Wharton Finance
Dartmouth Economics/Engineering
Columbia University Economics</p>

<p>So, the question is, considering my stats and situation, should I bother with EA?</p>

<p>Unweighted GPA: ~3.85
Weighted GPA: ~4.205
UC GPA: Unknown</p>

<h1>of AP/IB: 4 by the end of Junior year, 5 more classes senior year and 2 self-study tests</h1>

<p>English Language: 5
AP US History: 5
World history Ap: 4</p>

<p>Class rank: 93/1289 or ~7%, likely to go up to top 5 or even 4 at the end of the semester
Possible hook: Huge upward trend from top 13% to nearly top 5%</p>

<p>SAT/ACT scores:
SAT: 2350 760 CR 790 M 800 W
ACT: 33 - Probably not sending in in favor of the SAT</p>

<p>SAT II scores: 750 World History
780 US History
750 English
760 Math II - Retake? It's still only 78th percentile and looks bad if I'm applying to an engineering program</p>

<p>ECs:
Teen court (3 Years)
Debate (4 years)
FBLA (State champion in my event)
Key Club (Vice president)
French National Honor Society member</p>

<p>Honors/Awards:
UIL Current Events regional champion
FBLA 1st place Business Law State and Area
8th St. Mark's National Tournament
Rotary Youth Leadership Award (165 chosen out of 3000 applicants)
9th grade Advanced Orchestra 1st chair Viola
Junior Classical League Latin - Several awards
NFL degree of excellence</p>

<p>Short explanation of recs/essays:
I know from my teachers and friends that I can sound passionate about anything. Recommendation-wise, two of them will be from people who know me as a person and one is from a Harvard professor that I have known for 7 weeks (Too short of a time to get to know someone?)</p>

<p>Bump 10 char.</p>

<p>Also, does it hurt admission chances to apply for financial aid when applying early action?</p>

<p>On your list, I believe you should double check these:</p>

<p>From memory I think:
Georgetown has restrictive EA
Columbia, UPenn& Dartmouth have ED</p>

<p>Applying for Fin Aid shouldn't affect your admissions EA or RD. However, know that most of the schools on your list are not "need bllind" admissions schools -- meaning that they CAN take into account your need and hold it against you -- but this would be true whether you apply early or not.</p>

<p>ED usually gives you a higher chance of admission than RD. For EA that is usually not true for high ranked colleges, for which it can actually be harder to be accepted. Of the three colleges you list as being considered for applying EA, only two actually have EA, UChicago and Georgetown. Rice has only ED and Georgetown prohibits you from applying ED (but not EA) elsewhere if you apply EA to it. UChicago and Georgetown are not ones where you can assume your actual chances for admission are enhanced by applying EA. However, they can defer you rather than reject you EA and if defered you are just like any other RD candidate. </p>

<p>Applying for financial aid should not affect EA chances; moreover, I do not think you even apply for financial aid, such as by submitting a Profile form, for an EA college until after the EA decision is made. It is ED applicants who usually apply for a financial aid decision when applying ED.</p>

<p>Right, sorry, by other universities, I meant other universities I'm applying to.</p>

<p>Miles Davis reference in your username?</p>

<p>+1</p>