Questions about Psychology/Neuroscience

<p>If I am doing a Psychology major with a concentration on neuroscience, do you recommend I also do the premed program? I would love not to have to take Organic Chemistry/Physics, but I will if there are no specific graduate programs for just neuroscience that do not pertain to medical school. For example, do neurologists or neuropsychologists have to go to medical school? Can I get a PhD in neuropsychology? </p>

<p>Any input is really appreciated.</p>

<p>Yes, there are many graduate programs in neuroscience that do not pertain to medical school. Nonetheless, you are probably at some disadvantage for a research-oriented graduate program in neurosciences if you do not have organic chem or physics, even though some of the topics in those courses are not directly relevant to neurosciences.</p>

<p>Neurology is a medical specialty dealing with neurological diseases. All of neuroscience does not focus on neurological disorders. However, to become a neurologist, one must first go to medical school, then complete a residency in neurology.</p>

<p>I think you are using the term "neuropsychology" to refer to neuroscience or what used to be called physiological psychology. There is a subspecialty of clinical psychology called "clinical neuropsychology" that focuses on psychological testing for neurological function and brain damage. Certainly, knowing neuroscience is an important background for that subspecialty, but it does not require the same level of training in basic neurosciences as requied for someone who will be a research scientist in neurosciences. It requires admission to a clinical psychology program, which is quite competitive. In clinical psychology, one can take coursework and practica in neuropsychological assessment, but some clinical psychologists go on to specialize in this area. </p>

<p>Related areas that might interest you are rehabilitation psychology in which you might deal with persons who have closed head injuries or other neurological disorders with a behavioral component, e.g., chronic pain. Some clinical psychologists in the area of health psychology or behavioral medicine also might deal with these sorts of problems. Speech pathologists also work with persons who have various neurological-based speech disorders, such as those caused by strokes. In special education, there are some programs for working with children with brain injuries. The above mentioned areas would require less training inneuroscience and related sciences than that required of someone who wants to become a research neuroscientist.</p>