Questions about visiting and academics

<ol>
<li><p>I'm planning a visit to CMU this summer as a rising senior, and I was wondering whether to schedule an interview or info session. Are on-campus interviews valued more highly than alumni interviews? Or are they weighted about equally? If they're about equal, then I'll take the info session and an alumni interview in the fall.</p></li>
<li><p>How hard is it to declare CS as a major if you're in another school and what are the requirements? I'm planning on applying to MCS as a math major, but I might end up wanting to major in CS later on.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>1) They're valued equally. The interviews are not really evaluative, they're more of a way to show demonstrated interest and ask questions. </p>

<p>2) I don't have a ton of experience here, but everything I've read says that it really depends on how many slots are open and how you do in the intro classes. CS is one of the most desirable (and thus, most difficult) schools to transfer into, but that isn't to say it can't be done.</p>

<p>It is the hardest to transfer into, but you can double major or minor in CS relatively easily</p>

<p>
[quote]
1) They're valued equally. The interviews are not really evaluative, they're more of a way to show demonstrated interest and ask questions.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Interviews in the admissions office are seen as more than just showing interest, it can be seen as an actual part of your application. After all, the people you're talking to there are the same ones that will be actually doing admissions. Alumni interviews are really only an interest gauge, and I can attest that they pretty much ignore whatever the alumni write down about the student and their interest in the school.</p>