Questions about Yale's Art/Science Program

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I am currently a sophomore in high school and I do not yet know what I want to do in the future. My interests are in the arts but I am also very fond and good at science as I am currently taking AP chemistry. My grades are all A's and A+'s. </p>

<p>I was wondering if Yale would be a good school (as I see they have a good art program) that will let me say experiment between the sciences and arts. I think going to a school that is good overall would be good for me. Does anyone have any tips on how I should approach the Yale application? To be specific, I'm interested in Yale's painting and illustration concentrations and environmental sciences/chemistry. </p>

<p>Any help would be much appreciated since I really do not know what to do in the future. </p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>Hi and welcome to CC!</p>

<p>It sounds like you're doing great in HS, your grades are wonderful, you're taking challenging courses and you're doing ECs that you enjoy. </p>

<p>It's a little early to talk about the Y application, just keep focused on your academics and your outside interests and you'll have lots to list and talk about when it comes time to apply.</p>

<p>One of the other major pieces of the puzzle is standardized testing. Did you take the PSAT this year for practice? Do you have time this summer to prep for either the ACT or PSAT/SAT? Have you signed up to take the SAT Subject test in Chemistry? If you did well in AP Chem and on the test, the Subject test could be a good idea. If you end up submitting the SAT, you'll need 2 Subject tests too for Y (and for many other schools). </p>

<p>Since you're interested in art, keep in mind that you might want to submit an art supplement when you apply. In addition, keep an eye out for any opportunities for you to expand either your academic or outside interests, for instance, internships, competitions, summer programs, etc. Take a look at the Summer Programs subforum here on CC.</p>

<p>You're right, any school that is solid all round would permit you to do both science and art, although for most schools you'll have to eventually decide which one you want to major in. You could consider some schools with more "open" curriculums, like Brown and Amherst. </p>

<p>I really suggest that you spend some time looking around the CC website. There are sticky threads at the top of forums that give excellent information about FAQs. Also use the Search function to find past thread that would be helpful.</p>

<p>Best of luck and keep up the good work!</p>