Quidditch World Cup

<p>Quidditch</a> World Cup 5 | Randall's Island, NYC | International Quidditch Association</p>

<p>This weekend the Quidditch World Cup is being held in Randall's Island, New York City. In its 4th year, the tournament has over 100 teams scheduled to compete in the 2 day tournament. That is quite amazing for a "sport" that was invented such a short time ago.</p>

<p>My son texted me from last year's tournament to tell us that he was watching a group of U.S. Marines play. I would love to be there this year but traveling to NYC on my own was a bit intimidating, especially on short notice. When his campus match was cancelled Family Weekend due to snow, he told us that we should come to the world cup.</p>

<p>I remember reading on another thread that another poster's son also plays. Are any of your kids attending the world cup this weekend?</p>

<p>My daughter is in NYC and really wants to go, but is feeling too bogged down and stressed to take the time off to go to do something fun.</p>

<p>I will try one last time and then will let the thread die a natural death.</p>

<p>On the one hand, I am not surprised about the lack of interest in quidditch. It is not really a sport and appeals to a niche audience. Half of S's team are athletes who never read the books or saw the movies; they just like the action. The other half of the team never participated in any athletics in h. s. but like the creativity. My son is the connection for the two groups. He was a varsity athlete all 4 years of high school and was at the opening day for each movie after reading each book. </p>

<p>On the other hand, I would have thought that the CC community would be interested in the amazing growth of this activity. From its start at Middlebury in 2005, the organization has a tournament that has 100 teams participating. Although there are probably more teams from the east due to travel time and cost, there are teams from Texas, California, Arizona, Florida and Canada, New Zealand, Argentina, and Finland. </p>

<p>The "sport" will probably fade away in a few years since it is based on the Harry Potter movies, but the growth in such a short time is quite a story.</p>

<p>Hi lotsofquests, thanks for posting the link! My D's school (Ringling College of Art + Design/Sarasota FL) has a team at the world cup and I wish I had planned to go. There is so much going on in addition to the games and it would be a great family activity (concerts, owls, shopping, butterbeer, etc.). It really is quite amazing that such a young sport attracts teams from all over the world. Good luck to your son!</p>

<p>How does one play, given that the Harry Potter version of Quidditch requires flying?</p>

<p>A Middlebury student adapted the game for Muggles and made up very extensive rules 6 years ago. They must have at least one hand on the broom which must be between their legs. I have heard it described as a combination of rugby, dodge ball, basketball, and capture the flag. Instead of the mythical snitch, a runner (often a cross country runner) is dressed in gold with a sock tucked in the back; I guess the snitch appears at some point after the game has started. The teams (except for Smith) must be co-ed. I have not seen a real game yet. My son's team was scheduled to play a few weeks ago but the match was cancelled because of the snow. I am hoping to see him play at least once before he graduates because it is really hard to imagine the action.</p>

<p>Whenever I see a news clip about college kids playing quidditich, all I can think about is how foolish it looks and how painful it could be to run around playing a contact sport while carrying a broom stick in your crotch. Face it, humans in general, and males in particular, are not anatomically well-suited to play this game.</p>

<p>Quidditch</a> World Cup Held in N.Y. - YouTube</p>

<p>The thing is, it isn't as much a sport as a role-play of make-believe for people who want to pretend that they can fly and perform magic. And that sounds great for eight-year-olds, but it strikes me as sort of juvenile for college students. But on the other hand, I like to watch college football and pretend that I'm 20 again, so I guess it's just a matter of choosing your own fantasies. :)</p>

<p>As a high school student, I attended yesterday's matches with a few friends. Speaking more than just a Harry Potter fan, Muggle Quidditch really is a contact sport. (And I am watch ESPN all the time). I suggest watching videos of it on YouTube or something. In addition to actually requiring skill and athletic ability, it is a great way for all Harry Potter fans to get together and do something that we all enjoy and act completely crazy.</p>

<p>Ha, I thought I'd google and see if Cc had anything to say about the World Cup! D is there, along with 93 other teams!! When D was a freshman 2 yrs ago, she helped establish their team. I admit I laughed at first and wondered how they could play the game, but after watching practices and hearing details of the season, I would heartily agree that it is a full contact sport. D's team has practices 5 days a week, and she is in the best shape of her life!!! She'll be coming out of this weekend with more than a few bumps and bruises, but has had a great weekend.</p>

<p>Here's a post that shows all the teams playing...</p>

<p><a href="http://quidditchcup.com/2011-quidditch-world-cup/schedule/round-robin%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://quidditchcup.com/2011-quidditch-world-cup/schedule/round-robin&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>A friend's DD is on one of the teams that are competing. Is there somewhere that shows the match-ups and results of the games? It would be fun to see the results.</p>

<p>The final 4 are Minnesota, Middlebury, Florida, and Texas A&M, playing tonight. The only way to get current updates is via twitter, following @QuidditchFinals.</p>

<p>Also, check out this article from WSJ...
Quidditch:</a> A Game Worthy of a Wizard - WSJ.com</p>

<p>DD's boyfriend is up there with his LSU team. SAdly, they didn't advance.</p>

<p>It looks so dangerous to me, what with all the running around with broomsticks. Are there not injuries?</p>

<p>As far as I know, the injuries are typical of a contact sport. Several of my son's teammates have had concussions. I haven't heard of any injuries caused by the brooms but I don't always get all of the details.</p>

<p>I went this weekend and watched a few matches. I think it's very impressive that a group of students took an imaginary sport from a fictional book and turned it into a game that is played by more than a hundred college campuses and high schools. These athletes take this sport very seriously -- and have a sense of humor, too. Spectators were just as enthusiastic. I don't think we can underestimate the impact the Harry Potter series has had on this generation. </p>

<p>I saw one match where a player was knocked down and medics had to be called. Some of the teams (Middlebury, for one), play very aggressively. I had to watch a few games before I could figure out how the game is played.</p>

<p>I had great fun. There were a few people in costume. Butterbeer was being served at the concession stand. Some of the t-shirts being sold were quite amusing ("Occupy Gringotts"). The setting was spectacular, with the NYC skyline in the background. </p>

<p>I was surprised there were no teams from the UK (at least, I didn't notice any). </p>

<p>I'd definitely go again.</p>

<p>Ooh, ooh, ooh! Any idea as to where I could buy an "Occupy Gringotts" shirt? It would be such a great Christmas gift for my daughter (and maybe one for me, too. :-) )</p>

<p>Alas, searching via The Google has been no help...</p>

<p>maybe make your on on cafepress.com Check out the harry potter alliance, they may have something. And I REALLY wanted to go to the world cup but it was just too expensive. Oh well :(</p>