Quietest on-campus housing option for a studious transfer?

<p>Hey bears,</p>

<p>My housing offer is due in 2 days, and I am still unsure about my choices.</p>

<p>Right now, I like Channing-Bowditch, Wada, and Foothill. I'm leaning towards the upper division housing options because they are cheaper, but I prefer the location of Foothill (appears to be the furthest from the crazies). </p>

<p>Do any of you have any experiences with these three housing options? I am an Econ major who does not party and plans to join the Cal band, so I am looking for a quiet living environment to come back to for studying.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Crazies? Get over yourself, there is so much more to Southside than that. But yeah, go ahead and live in Foothill, plenty of people will have the same mindset as you there.</p>

<p>Sorry for offending you. While I am sure the majority of the <em>non-students</em> are harmless, I have heard many personal accounts of muggings right across the street from the Units.</p>

<p>lol at Cali Trumpet's insensitivity.</p>

<p>foothill, thats pretty quiet </p>

<p>but lol you sound boring ;)</p>

<p>Boring and proud :)</p>

<p>You can't deny there are some pretty shady characters living in the south side, nor can you deny that the south side is especially noisy during the day, but also at night. He even apologized for his remark about crazies, even though it was more or less accurate. Can we stop giving this guy a hard time because he appreciates solitude? kthnx.</p>

<p>Yeah, Foothill is generally quieter, but it still must be a bit of a crap shoot since you may still get a noisy roommate. If cost is a concern you can also find a north Berkeley apartment.</p>

<p>After two years at UC Santa Cruz with bad luck with my roommates (roommates who host big parties that go past 2am during the weekdays with loud music and random drunk people banging on the walls while I try to get some sleep before my midterm the following morning), I am a little apprehensive about getting placed in the same situation next year at Cal. </p>

<p>I may have misrepresented myself as some study freak, which is only partially true. I am fairly involved in quite a few activities here at SC, and plan to get involved in several Cal organization's as well, so I suppose I am only boring in the sense that I don't choose to drink until I pass out 3 times a week. Since this is Berkeley we are talking about, and no longer Santa Cruz, I am hoping that some of these kids I speak of who don't give an f about school are weeded out by the tough selection process. I am really excited to meet tons of new people, and live in the city for the first time in my life. I am just hoping the people I meet will have a reasonable sense of balancing fun activities and studying. </p>

<p>So, if you can forgive me for my insensitivity at first, I'd like to restate my question. Do you guys have any friends who live in any of these three places? Which have the bigger rooms/better amenities/better staff? Does Foothill pretty much only house freshmen? The reason why I liked foothill was of its close proximity to campus and I heard it was one the more <em>studious</em> dorms. Why does it cost so much? </p>

<p>Thank you :)</p>

<p>I've lived in 2 of the 3 and Wada should be last on your list.</p>

<p>As you've learned from UCSC, the experience (quiet v loud) depends a LOT on the roommate. A LOT. If you're opting for a double (vs. a single), use your preference filters to say quiet, neat, just fine if roommate never is in the room, etc.</p>

<p>All the dorms have so-called quiet study rooms and lounges, and res comp at the dorms where you can go and work as well, with tutoring rooms and that.</p>

<p>Cha-Bow has particularly accessible and quiet study rooms just down the hall from your room, although I've found the upper division people are not party wild because they're focusing more on the "prize" (i.e. the degree). Noise you hear is mostly if you have a window facing back towards Durant -- can get some noise from Top Dog and the Burrito place.</p>

<p>Although Foothill is almost isolated/secluded quiet, you have a couple of noisy downsides: freshmen who do party or play video games late at night and can be pretty loud about it; the Greek Theatre when there's a concert; the Bowles dorm when serenading Stern; the Cal Marching band practice sessions on the other side of the Greek (just below Bowles) -- and the sound of the drums and music really carries!; and Memorial Stadium during a football game.</p>

<p>Any of them -- you can just head over to a library on campus that's open and there's also lots of places on campus where you can study.</p>

<p>There is a lot more crime on southside than elsewhere, so the OP is right.</p>