Rape and Greek Life (the "Cornell 7" specifically, but also SA in Greek Life generally)

The money trail will be the way colleges wrest control away from the “out of control” frats and sororities. Not the ones who play by the rules- but the renegades.

Someone just sent me what is allegedly part of Jane Doe’s civil lawsuit- I can’t verify it so I won’t post. But it outlines internal documents from a few insurance companies about the rising premium rates for liability insurance of off-campus fraternity houses. The rates will explode. I predict that the frats won’t be able to pass the costs on to pledges; the buildings will be sold back to the university for regular off-campus housing and the Harry Potter Enthusiast Club will have its own theme building for its members. It will only take one or two spectacular payouts with clear criminal activity (and the presence of Ketamine in the Cornell case- which nobody seems to be denying) for the insurers to walk away.

According to the document I was sent, insuring fraternities is just behind hazardous waste disposal companies and asbestos contractors in the industry in terms of risk. The difference is that a waste disposal company passes its increased premiums on to its customers. And the presence of drugs or alcohol in a fraternity is a clear risk factor for OTHER types of liability-- non SA related. Fire, kid falling off a deck or rooftop while drunk, etc.

6 Likes