Campus/town</p>

<p>Groton
Msex
Loomis
Tabor
Blair
St. Georges
Port Abby</p>

<p>Blair loses the Potter-Kelly Cup to Peddie every year, and they don't take it well. Their facilities are really great, their teams less so.</p>

<p>Also, just from driving through Blairstown...there is not much there. The town main is one street with some small shops...and I think a diner/ deli...something of the like.</p>

<p>I have not seen any display of poor sportsmanship at the winning of the Potter-Kelley cup. In fact, I've heard the Peddie Headmaster thank Blair for good sportsmanship. </p>

<p>What I have heard, is that Peddie wins because the games are weighted towards soccer, usually not a strong sport for Blair. With 1/3 day students, Peddie has soccer players who continue on competitive travel teams plus play for Peddie. Blair often wins the football game Blair</a> Academy - Athletics, but last year the first line was injured or sick with swine flu, so the second and third line had to play.</p>

<p>There are many strong Blair teams, including wrestling, basketball and football. The crew program is developing nicely. For certain sports, Blair is an athletic powerhouse. </p>

<p>If you want a boarding school in a large town, then Blair would not be the right choice. Apparently that is not important to you because Groton, Middlesex, St. Georges and probably others on your list are not next to stores. If you want a school right next to a village that includes things like a small bookstore, health food store, diner, gourmet deli, convenience food mart, electronics store, German deli, etc., then Blair is a good choice. If you love the outdoors, then the area around Blair is great. It is next to the Delaware Water Gap Delaware</a> Water Gap National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service), and the Appalachian Trail. The campus is beautiful. </p>

<p>The academics at Blair are challenging, and some courses are offered at 3 different levels -- regular, honors and AP. Students who perform well in challenging courses will be encouraged to take them. If you can perform in the top 20% of the class, you can do very well in college admissions. </p>

<p>While you didn't ask about it, I think one of Blair's strengths is a strong community and positive spirit. </p>

<p>If you have any other questions about Blair, I am happy to answer them here or you can send me a private message.</p>

<p>Good luck in your search!</p>

<p>Loomis - Sports are quite good this year. Girl's lacrox, boy's golf, baseball....
Windsor is q small simple town, not many things over there but everything you
is within working distance, food, cvs, hair cut.... Nearby Manchester, Farming
and West Hartford are only 5-10 mins drive. School has bus to these location
almost every weekend.</p>

<p>Actually Burb Parent, I have to disagree. The games are not weighted towards any one sport; each game is worth 1 point. Peddie doesn't win because our soccer players play on travel teams; most don't have the time for that during the fall season. We win because we're good. </p>

<p>As for the sportsmanship, of course our headmaster thanks Blair for their good conduct and asks us to show the Blair teams respect. We do. I got a couple distasteful looks from spectators while cheering on my field hockey team as I stretched out an injury, but it didn't bug me too much. </p>

<p>But what I saw at the 2008 Blair Day, which took place at Blair, was far from sportsmanlike. The school newspaper circulated a story (it was completely biased and not well-researched; more of an Op-Ed than a news article) on the front page of their school newspaper with the headline, "Hate is a strong word. That's why we use it." No Peddie student had ever thought of the rivalry as hateful; we think of Blair Day as a friendly competition to end the season. But the story had interviewed a former staff member of Peddie, who called us snobby, but failed to address the fact that he left primarily because the school wouldn't give him his own Gator golf cart. The students interviewed were very disrespectful, and I can understand putting it in the paper for the week before the games to pep things up a bit, but the paper was still available when Peddie students arrived on campus. Blair never apologized for publishing the story. That's unsportsmanlike.</p>

<p>Groton has some of the best academics, but I think Middlesex is more balanced. A lot of my friends who go to Groton say it's very stressful to keep up with the workload. In terms of sports, I don't think either Middlesex or Groton has the best athletics programs, but they do pretty well. Like I said before, if you were to go to either it would be for the academics. Neither are sporty schools- Deerfield would be a sporty school.</p>

<p>St. George's has been raising the bar academically for the past 5 years. It was not a walk in the park before and it is certainly challenging now. I think there were only 4 - 5 students this past semester that made High Honors (all A's). The matriculation list is impressive.</p>

<p>I think you will find that all the schools ride a roller coaster when it comes to sports. The SG football team this year was 0-8, the 2 years before 6-2 and before that 0-8 again. The past four years boys hockey had winning seasons. Lacrosse is all over the place. The girls seems to do better than the boys in sports.</p>

<p>The campus is beautiful aka St. Gorgeous which overlooks 2nd beach. The town of Newport is a 20 minute walk, need I say more.</p>

<p>ops, thats impressive. How about the student body? Diverse, clicky, bullys, gossips? I know every school has some but some schools more than others. Whats your overall feeling about the students and teachers at SG.</p>

<p>My mom's goddaughter went and loved it, i visited and knew that it wasnt for me. its extremely warm, I felt a little smothered, it's what she needed then. its all up to the individual, but its very close and like snuggly if that makes sense</p>

<p>I think Groton in general is first tier (Forbes listing, etc.). All the rest are second tier except for the Abbey which is third. Hey, you asked...just one person's opinion. Agree,however that the school that fits best with you, is at the top of any list.</p>

<p>Do you really feel Msex & St. G, are not @ the same level as Groton? Are you saying Groton should be among the HADES group?</p>

<p>No, middlesex is the same level as groton academically. (and probably sports-wise, too). I don't know anything about st. g, since I didn't apply there. But between Groton and Middlesex, Middlesex is more balanced. And Middlesex has a really pretty town :)</p>

<p>Fyg I am an alumni and parent of an SG grad.
The student body is diverse, many if not most of the boarding schools strive towards diversity. Clicky but not exclusive. The friends made at SG are for life. Bullying is not tolerated at any school. To deny that there are at times issues in the dorm would be naive. The caliber of students at most of these schools are disdainful of bullying behavior and it would be quickly stifled. Plenty of gossip with half truths as anyplace with a environment such as a boarding school or small town, mostly comical.</p>

<p>They are good kids and have had many in my home and they're all welcomed back. The adviser program was excellent. I sincerely valued my son's advisor and deeply appreciate his being there for the times I wasn't. A friend to my son, an ear to bend, someone to confide in, a faculty voice through which he could speak if need be. The teachers can be tough but fair, the work challenging and at times actually fun. The facilities superb with opportunities to participate in so many of the extra curricular activities. I can't say enough about the College Counseling. </p>

<p>IMO don't get hung up with the HADES acronym or the tier level debate. Visit the websites, read the admission's material and visit the schools. Parents, alumni, students will promote their school and rightfully so but in the end it's what feels best for you. There has been a lot of good advice posted in the past here on CC and some no so bright. The fact of the matter is that all the schools you mentioned are terrific institutions and truly provide a higher education in a unique environment with above par facilities coupled with really dedicated faculty. I come from a family of boarders from both sides and almost everyone went to different schools. My son was the first to follow a parents footstep but his brother chose differently. Imagine your self there when you visit and go with your gut feeling. Good luck</p>

<p>Do you really feel Msex & St. G, are not @ the same level as Groton? Are you saying Groton should be among the HADES group? </p>

<p>middlesex and groton are pretty equal [academically], but groton's stronger in the math/sciences, while middlesex, reportedly, has a great english program... etc. just from what i've heard.
imho, groton and msex are definitely first tier. honestly, look at their matriculation (especially groton's, which is amazing), and then look at hotchkiss's... HADES is a pretty ridiculous acronym, GLADCHEMMS or "first tier" is better and more logical/truthful, really. groton and msex are both great schools, with great academics. loomis, blair, and st georges, are probably what one would consider "second-tier" (don't know much about tabor), and portsmouth abbey is ~3rd.</p>

<p>maddog, yes, Groton is.... on Forbes List and if you check Lvllgrad's matriculation list, it's among or better than the HADES GLADCHEMMS for getting kids into top colleges. I don't think Middlesex is to the same degree. Lots of people have heard of Groton outside NE, I don't think Middlesex enjoys the same reputation. Additionally, some think FDR was a modern day Lincoln who graduated from Groton. Can Middlesex boast a Prez?</p>

<p>Actually, while Groton does have a bigger reputation, Middlesex is just as good at academics. However, Middlesex is more of an "artsy" school- Groton stresses the academics. Middlesex has a really good english and theater program. That's why is doesn't have the same rep Groton does for academics. It really does depend on what type of school you want.</p>

<p>from the feel i got on campus and from the kids on my visit, re-visit, and preseason camp at MX. that the school is a lot more jocky than it is say artsy. the boys lacrosse team is a big deal and sends many kids to top-notch DI and DIII programs for example there were two MX kids on the NCAA Lacrosse champion duke. Also a basketball player from MX is going to Vandy next year on a full ride. I also believe that the soccer captain will be competing at amherst come next fall. so like most ISL schools has rather good sports.</p>

<p>MX is really big on the sports. Not like Deerfield, but they do require freshmen and sophomores to play 3 sports. Seniors and juniors have to play two. But you can also do a play/musical as well.</p>

<p>@ gemma, what was the final deciding factor why you pk Msex over any other school?</p>