Reached 20 college limit on CommonApp, but I have 21. What now

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>As I've been deferred by Harvard, I'm going to continue sending my application to other colleges. Thing is, I have 21 colleges I want to apply to (including Harvard), but the CommonApp has a limit of 20. Can I take down Harvard now that I've been deferred (because additional things get sent to an address they sent me via email) or do I have to keep it there? Because if I take it down it'll let me add another college. </p>

<p>If I have to keep it there, how do I choose which college to let go?! This is so frustrating. I'm an international student, so I can't say that this college is my favorite and that other one isn't... They're all reaches and favorites. </p>

<p>These are currently on my list:
Harvard
Princeton
Stanford
Columbia
Dartmouth
U Penn
U of Chicago
Pomona
Brown
Vanderbilt
Amherst
Vassar
Washington and Lee
Hamilton
Bates
Colgate
Mount Holyoke (have interviewd and finished applying so I don't want to delete it)
Occidental
U of Richmond
Colby</p>

<p>And I want to add Johns Hopkins as well. But it won't let me....
So, wise ones, what do?</p>

<p>Maybe paper applications?</p>

<p>This has been discussed in the past. Here is a link...</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/288589-can-you-apply-more-than-20-schools-w-common-app-2.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/288589-can-you-apply-more-than-20-schools-w-common-app-2.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Familyof3boys, I've gone through that thread already, but it didn't answer my question at all. They were just arguing about why it's not good to apply to so many schools. I'm an international student, and chances of getting in are very small, and applying to few schools just makes those chances smaller...</p>

<p>sadilly, do you think that can work? I mean, they're the common app forms but printed, wouldn't that go into some database and then come back saying "nope, sorry, you've already applied to 20 schools"?</p>

<p>Wow!! You have basically listed the top schools in the US, so unless you have at least a 2200 SAT score and 3.85 GPA, I would suggest not applying to so many top schools</p>

<p>Being an int'l student myself, I understand applying to so many schools but applying to schools that accept less than half of the international students that apply is not going to help your chances.</p>

<p>P.S. If you want I can help you choose some schools. I'm no expert, I'm just a student helping another student so you can say no.</p>

<p>No, it doesn't get recorded that way. You print out the application, and you mail it to the college/university directly.</p>

<p>DMA017, my GPA is 4.0 in US scale, but no, my SAT is, I'd say average, with a 2010. I find it's an adequate score for someone who doesn't have prep materials or any previous knowledge of the test. But the colleges I'm applying to will have to decide if they go with what I think. </p>

<p>Happymomof1, thank you! I will mail in the application, then. Must work on my best handwriting</p>

<p>yea I just read your back story from another thread and based on that I'd say that you have a good chance of being accepted to some of the schools on your list like Hamilton, Colby, U of Richmond, the others I cant say for sure. You just have write some kick-a$$ essays about your life experiences cuz I'm sure schools would love to hear about life in Romania</p>

<p>Also one thing you have to be aware of is that some of the schools are not need-blind for international students, meaning that they factor in your families ability to pay for college in their decision.</p>

<p>Haha, funny enough, I did write about life experiences and how it is to be Romanian. I feel like that's what got me deferred and not flat out rejected at Harvard. Admitted would have been much nicer, yes, but oh well!</p>

<p>And yeah, I know, most schools are need aware, which always ties my heart in a knot, because I have to apply for fee waivers as well, so they can gauge from that just how much my family CAN'T pay hahaha</p>

<p>yea its a tough road for internationals when we're applying for colleges, but there are success stories and I'm pretty confident thatyou'll make it into at least 3 of the schools on your list! </p>

<p>Good luck alisyn!!!</p>

<p>Thanks so much, I'm feeling optimistic already!
Good luck to you too! Let's hope March brings great news to the both of us</p>

<p>I would suggest you re-read the common app rules and make sure you are not skirting around the 20 application limit. They have these rules because colleges don't want people aimlessly applying to schools just because they can pay the application fee and hit 'submit'. I know you've read this in other forums, but I would suggest you apply to no more than 20 so you aren't abusing the common app process. I don't know what the implications are. Have confidence in your story and apply to colleges that fit you, not just a list of top 20 schools. Some of the personalities of these schools are very different.</p>

<p>p.s. your story is likely what got you deferred despite your average SAT score. If it hadn't been for your interesting essay you could have just been rejected. That's what you need to feel confidence about ... it certainly did not hurt you but helped you stand out from the crowd of smart applicants.</p>

<p>Do any of these places have their own applications as well as using the common app? That would be another way to cut down the number of applications through common ap.</p>

<p>Snowflake, I don't want to upset anyone, but I really feel like those rules are geared more towards the domestic applicants, who besides the schools that accept the common app, also have flagships or state schools and all the sorts. While internationals have none of that (in the US I mean, not back home. God knows I have plenty to choose from here). Which is why we want to apply to as many as we can take, to maybe increase our chances even the slightest.
And I'm not sure if you just called me stupid or what when you said that my essay helped me stand out amongst the "smart" applicants. </p>

<p>Happymom, thank you again! I swear, you're always helpful. I will look into this asap, but from what I remember, some do have them.</p>

<p>Try the Universal College App...</p>

<p><a href="https://www.universalcollegeapp.com/%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://www.universalcollegeapp.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Ah! Of course! Thank you!</p>

<p>I never had to consider the more than twenty question before but would creating an alternate common app version help? <a href="https://www.commonapp.org/commonapp/docs/alternateversiontechnologyfaq.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://www.commonapp.org/commonapp/docs/alternateversiontechnologyfaq.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>International or not, 21 is too many. You need to delete one.</p>

<p>21 colleges is a ridiculous amount. Good thing there is a 20 college limit, you should not be allowed to apply to all of those colleges.</p>