Reading Hacks

For the readers or “want to be” readers here on CC.

Share your reading hacks for… Finding time. Finding a favorite place. Keeping book lists. Staying interested. Choosing book over phone scrolling. Staying focused during the pandemic or times of stress.

This topic was covered on one of my podcasts. I love to read. Reading breeds MORE reading for me. I loved hearing others tips.

My tips:
I use Goodreads App on my phone to keep track of books I want to read and books I’ve read. When I hear a book a want to read i immediately add it to my list

I often read on my kindle. I use the Libby App and this again allows me to request titles, postpone a loan if I’m not ready for it, etc

My Kindle is also tied to the Goodreads App.

When working from home I keep my Kindle in the bathroom and steal 5 minutes here and there during the day. :wink:

Please share your successes or challenges I’d you WISH for more reading time!

4 Likes

Just exactly WHAT kind of books are you reading, @abasket? I need to stay away from those. :wink:

1 Like

LOL, better go make an edit…!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like the OP, I use any time I can find to read even if it’s just a few pages. I always take a book if I am going anywhere I might be in a waiting room or even standing in a line. I choose to watch almost no TV and use that time reading.

If a book doesn’t get my interest in the first 100 pages, I move on. Too many other books are waiting for me to read.

1 Like

I use Goodreads also to keep lists and mostly read on kindle app/ iPad. I keep mine on my kitchen counter and will read 15 minutes or so during the day standing at the island.

I sometimes use audible while I walk or in the car. But, I don’t love listening to my books- would rather read them! I find I cannot sit down at night and read much as I’ll fall asleep!

I also use Goodreads to track the list of books I’ve read. I subscribe to a blog about reading, The Modern Mrs. Darcy, and it provides an option for a daily list of books on sale (generally e-books). Sometimes a book by an author sounds good, but in checking Goodreads, I’m able to identify that I read it long ago. I have not been converted to an audible user, but would consider if I had a long commute. S & DIL do audiobooks for long haul drives when they visit family, etc. and they enjoy them.
As for @FallGirl’s willingness to give up a book, the MMD blog author, Anne Bogel, often encourages people to put a book aside if it’s not bringing joy and I commend that attitude. I often wish I did a better job of taking that advice. One I finished because others loved it was Elizabeth Gilbert’s The Signature of All Things. I had friends who adored that book and all I can think is that I will never get those hours back!

2 Likes

Yes, “read what you love, not what others say you should love”. Too many books to NOT read ones you love!!!

2 Likes

@2VU0609 - I had never heard of Anne Bogle or her blog but last night (I kid you not!) I just finished reading her collection of essays “I’d Rather Be Reading”. I could identify with so much of what she wrote.

1 Like

@FallGirl, small world! I enjoyed “I’d Rather Be Reading” and her latest book, “Don’t Overthink It.” I follow her on Instagram and when I listen to her talk, I feel so calm. If you are on IG or if you follow her blog, you will eventually see her library. It looks so serene and comfy - I would like to have a reading spot like hers!

1 Like

I long ago realized that I needed to curtail my reading time. It’s possible to read too much, and the corollary to that is spending too much time looking for the next book. So maybe 20 years ago I decided to only read books after dark. I can read newspapers, magazines and the internet, etc, during the day. Now that I’m retired there is no real reason not to read books during the day but old habits die hard. I’m a sequential reader, I only read one book at a time and I like to have a stack of eight or ten books waiting to be read. I don’t keep track of what I read. A requirement for my retirement budget was to be able to buy any book I want anytime I want and I do.

3 Likes

@2VU0609 - just started following Modern Mrs Darcy on Insta!

1 Like

I’ve discovered that the hack many of my friends use to read so many books is to listen to a lot of them while gardening or exercising. Maybe I’ll get used to the process eventually, but even though I’ve listened to two books via Libby on my phone I could not figure out how to add a new one, at least not directly from the phone.

My sister reads about 10 books at a time. Years ago she was selling her house (in the days when they were on the market for more than an hour and a half, like they are now) and after a few weeks the realtor notice piles of books appearing beside her bed, in the kitchen, in the living room, in the bathroom…

Before the days of Kindle. Now she has piles of books and magazines and a Kindle in her purse

I keep track of my books on goodreads, I also give them all a star rating when I finish. I frequently forget having read something, so having them on goodreads has saved me many times from getting a book I have already read. I read 100 books a year (I do the goodreads reading challenge for that number). I read almost exclusively on paper, borrowed from the library. When the library was closed last year, I resorted to hoopla and overdrive, but I really don’t like reading on a screen. I read all the time, my book is never far away. I ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes every morning and always read while I exercise. I only read one book at a time. I am in many book groups (3 at my local library, 1 at my local church, 1 long distance facebook group, and one with some local moms.) I never reread a book (even for a book group discussion of something I read a long time ago). The rare exception is I have reread some classics that I read as a child. My theory is that there are just too many good books I haven’t read yet. I also belong to a charity blog where you review books
to “Stick It to Cancer One Book at a Time.” I review 13 books for the blog each year. I am a fast reader, I don’t explicitly speedread (as we used to call it), but I do know that I skip words in my head which makes me read faster.

2 Likes

@kiddie, I envy your devotion to reading!

I am curious about that charity blog and will try and look it up.

Another thing I like to do for variety is to read young adult literature. There are some really good more recent books that are worthwhile and they tend to be fast reads. A nice break and change from adult novels.

2 Likes

The charity blog is called cannonball read, although it is too late for new people to sign up to do reviews, you can use it as place to go and get book ideas. You can also donate (they are working on formalizing their charity status with all the required certifications etc.) You will find reviews here of all kinds of books - YA, Children’s, and all genres. (I am not allowed to post a link to the blog correct?)

1 Like

I keep track of all the books I read in a journal—have been doing so for 10 years. I tried goodreads, but found I preferred pen and paper. I read about 50 books a year although last year I just vegged out on tv and read 35 books. I read mostly literary fiction and mystery/thrillers. My husband has a huge collection of mysteries–he loaned money to a friend who owned a bookstore. When the store closed the friend paid him back (in part) with all the mystery/thrillers in the collection. Lately I have been reading memoirs—just finished a classic (Vivian Gornick).

2 Likes