- US Citizen
- Washington State
- Enrolled to public high school and community college (have done a Precalculus class at University of Washington as well)
- Suburban, medum-sized schools
- Black/African male
- Kind of first generation? Am a child to immigrants.
Computer Science, prob Cybersecurity stuff
Computer Engineering is listed as my secondary for most schools
GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
- Unweighted HS GPA: 3.82 (includes college classes)
- My HS does not calculate weighted GPA
- Community College GPA: 3.77
- Class Rank: 16/235 (unweighted)
- ACT/SAT Scores: None, will take ACT in a little less than a couple weeks
Have only done one AP class, World History, my sophomore year. Got a 3 on exam - probably best to submit it anyway right? Have not taken any more APs because I hate the college board and have been doing dual credit at local community college since Jr. year.
Sophomore year [COVID]: Advanced English, AP World History, UW Precalculus
Junior year: Calc 1, English Composition 1 and 2, a couple American history classes, Intro to Criminal Justice (A’s). B+ in Intercultural Communication that was quite the fluke and solid B in General Chemistry Prep.
Senior year: Now taking Computer Science I, Calc 2, and Survey of Economics. Will take Computer Science II next quarter, alongside some prerequisites to graduate with an AA.
(may be worth noting those Comp Sci classes transfer directly to UW)
Not much here… just
- Chancellor’s List (4.0 GPA)
for 2 quarters at local community college. May get it again this quarter. And
- Most improved in JV Tennis
but that probably won’t do much of anything.
- Lobbyist in YMCA Youth & Government [Soph.]
- a small amount of YMCA volunteer work, was right before COVID [Soph.]
- Adventure Club member, basically hikes and stuff [Soph. & Sr.]
- JV Tennis [Soph]
- Track & Field [Freshman & Soph.]
- National Honor Society [Soph.] (lol)
Yeahhhhhh all in all a bit dry but it’s what I got to work with thanks to quarantine
Essay is pretty solid, it’s about a trip I took to my parents’ African home country. (+1 to diversity quota seeking colleges perhaps?) Has been reviewed by peers and professionals. LORs will likely be fine.
Cost Constraints / Budget
Try not to take it too much into consideration, but I am not applying to any UCs. The more $ in financial aid packages the better though, obviously. Also quick question - is it true that the common app fee waiver applies at up to 20 schools?
I’m not sure what schools on my list aren’t reaches. I have applied to UW Seattle and Bothell already, I’ve got CMU, UMass Amherst, Caltech, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Cornell, Duke, Northeastern, Princeton, Brown, Yale, MIT, and Harvard on my list. All RA. Very ambitious, I know. Might drop a few of those last ones in that lineup. Would love suggestions on solid CS targets with my stats, preferably urban.
My odds on getting into any of those schools? What if I got a 33+ on the ACT in a couple weeks, or went optional if I got less than that? Recommendations for CS safeties/valid top 50s to consider? General advice on how to improve my odds before submitting?