Realized to not go to UCLA for anthropology, no job?

<p>Ok so i was going to apply as an anthropology major to ucla, but my parents and everyone around me says it is a useless job. In the beginning, I thought if you graduated with any major at UCLA or UC berkeley it looks good and you will be able to land something. But now Ive realized no. So im thinking im going to major in accounting, or do something practical like urban planning at another school. What is you guys advice?
I have a friend who just graduated with Linguistics at UCLA but now is jobless, I also read how people majored in liberal arts tend to be unemployed</p>

<p>lol what does anyone else have to do with "you"? If you like anthropology go for it. Don't let statistics tell you how to live you life, or you'll end up being a a statistic. Work hard, and pursue what you love, because at the end of the day; I'm hoping that you would want to do something you like, not something that "sounds" good on paper. Every individual is different, besides there are many unemployed engineers, chemist, so on and so forth. My only advice would be is to shut of all the naysayer, and actually do what "you" like. Its your life, right?</p>

<p>...so let me get this straight chronologically:</p>

<p>
[quote]
I have a friend who just graduated with Linguistics at UCLA but now is jobless, I also read how people majored in liberal arts tend to be unemployed

[/quote]
</p>

<p>
[quote]
In the beginning, I thought if you graduated with any major at UCLA or UC berkeley it looks good and you will be able to land something.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>
[quote]
i was going to apply as an anthropology major to ucla, but my parents and everyone around me says it is a useless job.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>
[quote]
So im thinking im going to major in accounting, or do something practical like urban planning at another school. What is you guys advice?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>hmm..interested in law or medicine? you can 4.0 anthro, go to post bacc for pre reqs & apply to law,pharm,med or dental..</p>

<p>People assume just because they have a piece of paper + college reputation => gurantee'd job placement. You have to throw yourself out there in order to get a job + internship + good at job interviews + good at socializing in order to get a job, and etc.</p>

<p>And major in something you'll like. Because if you majoring in something for the sake of money/salary, then the chances are high that you will go back to school because you don't enjoy the job your are doing</p>

<p>Can i be honest with you? Your chance are really weak of making over 50-60k a year if you aren't an engineer major, or if you dont go to some graduate field in science or law.</p>

<p>Yeah go be a business major. With everyone else. "I gonna make millionz"
Go be a art history major.
Yeah, become a english major.
You'll prolly be waiting a table at an upperclass resturant. Thats what your ba is worth.
Oh oh, im sorry, your going to be a communications major. Yes, good luck with that.</p>

<p>Okay, major in what you want, become a High school teacher. Get paid for 8 hours a day, then go home and on your own time grade papers. All that stress...
laugh at all the students that went to a weaker school. But you will see who laughs at the end when they became something.</p>

<p>Majoring in Linguistics as well... and UCLA was an "up there" choice for me. Don't scare me!</p>

<p>If you plan on continuing on to graduate school go for it</p>

<p>Unless you have a passion for engineering or accounting I wouldn't change your major. Follow what you are interested in. Degrees don't get jobs, people do. Many people who major in anthropology, sociology, history,etc. can go on to medical school (provided all pre reqs are done), law school, business (MBA), etc. Yes, you will probably get a job quicker as an accountant than as an anthropologist but will you love what you are doing?</p>

<p>Stick with your major and when you get to UCLA take an accounting class, take some science classes, take some lower division urban planning classes and make sure you enjoy or have a talent for one of these other fields. Many, many people change their majors in their 4 year college career so don't stress about it right now. My daughter is a senior at UCLA and has many friends who have changed their majors. It is a time to explore and learn about yourself. So listen to your heart and your head, not other peoples!</p>

<p>There seems to be a feeling among some people that going to medical school is a good fall-back position if you can not get a job in your major. The reality is there is nothing more difficult than getting into medical school. Finding a job in Anthropology, getting accepted at Haas at Berkeley or CS at UCLA are all easy compared to getting into even one American allopathic medical school.</p>

<p>Lol, yeah - med school is not a fallback. </p>

<p>I mean, really - if you have the determination and motivation (not to mention top of the line study skills) that it takes to be a doctor, then you shouldn't have trouble doing anything that you choose to do. If you're that sort of individual, then you'll probably be successful in whatever you choose to do.</p>

<p>Anyway, companies like Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, and Facebook regularly hire grads who majored in the social sciences, specifically anthropology, cogs sci, and psychology. They need people in HR, to design UIs, user experience experts, people to handle press releases, etc...</p>

<p>Of course, jobs at companies like these are going to be super freakin' competitive - but the jobs are there. It just depends on you, your goals, qualifications, achievements, and how well you fit in with the company.</p>