Rec from Department Head

<p>So my neighbor, who is a prominent child psychologist who guest lectures at various Universities, heard I was applying to Yale and told me she is friends with the Head of the Drama Department. She told me she would get the Drama head to write on my behalf to the admissions office. Now, me being a declared Political Science major, is this going to be completely useless? Do recommendations from department heads help? At first I was really pumped but now that i think about it, they're going to see this person doesn't know me and that I have no interest in drama. Could it possibly even hurt me?</p>

<p>you seem to answer my question, which is why you would want the letter written in the first place. if you have NO interest in drama, this letter has no business being written. Not to sound harsh, but I don't think it would add anything to your profile. Like you said, the person doesn't know you....</p>

<p>I'd concur. Since there's nothing to do with drama in your application, it would stick out like a sore thrumb. </p>

<p>I'm probably being naive, but I'm a bit surprised/disappointed that a Yale department head would write a letter for someone they don't even know.</p>