I browsed this site a decent amount when making my own college decision and thought that I would come back to try to answer what questions I have about SCU culture, opportunities, etc., especially with the perspective of being a few years out (2015 grad).
(The following info will make me easily identifiable and this thread can be traced back to me, so please be polite and courteous)
Here’s a bit about me, so you know what experience I can speak from:
- I’m a 2015 grad who double-majored in Political Science and English with a minor in Italian.
- I was a part of the ALPHA RLC for 3 years: two as just a resident and one year as a CF (identical to what most schools refer to as an RA)
- I was heavily involved in intramural sports (as a player and a manager/organizer) and student government during my time at SCU
- I studied abroad in Bologna, Italy for my fall quarter/semester of junior year
- I love SCU in general, but definitely acknowledge that it is far from a perfect institution/community
In terms of what I have done since SCU:
- I spent two years as a full-time volunteer (one year domestic and the other international in South America), worked on a local political campaign, and interned at an international non-profit in Washington, DC.
- I have applied to law school for the upcoming fall and was accepted to a number of top schools (Harvard, Berkeley, UChicago, etc.) and will be taking a full scholarship to the University of Michigan. I mention this just to show that there really isn’t a ceiling to having a degree from SCU, at least not in the eyes of other great institutions.
Anyways, I’ll try to check in every couple of days for the next few weeks to see if there are any questions. I’m not an expert in all things SCU (especially with regard to the worlds of business/engineering), but will do my best to be helpful.
Finally, for what it’s worth, no one is asking me or paying me to do this, but I think forums like this can be very helpful to get info and ease anxiety (as it did for me several years ago!)