Recent ILR grad - ask me anything

<p>Transferred into ILR at the beginning of Junior year. Lived in the North town houses, and then lived on West in Carl Becker house. Absolutely loved my experience. Graduated last year, now working in NYC.</p>

<p>Ask me absolutely anything and I'll try to give some honest replies. Responses will be delayed since I'm only checking this once a day at night. Please no "chance me" requests.</p>

<p>What did you think of the Becker house?</p>

<p>What job did you get and how hard was it to land a gig?</p>

<p>What were some of the challenges you faced as a transfer?</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>What do you do in NYC and how did you find your job?</p>

<p>Give me a typical day's reading load.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>D is a recent ILR grad and also living in NYC. She is an fx derivative trader working in the investment banking division at a BB. </p>

<p>You never know where ILR will take you. :)</p>

<p>I know this is a bit redundant, with respect to other questions asked in this thread, but was there a large contingency of students going in the finance/business direction, as opposed to law school/public sector? Also, would you say the ILR program affords its students the proper preparation for those interested in the finance industry? Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>The program doesn't matter. As long as you demonstrate competence in quantitative courses (i.e. finance, accounting, econometrics, statistics, linear algebra...etc), you'll be fine. The coursework is a lot more important than your major. And with ILR, you have a lot of freedom when it comes to choosing courses.</p>

<p>Thank you, Jay for so graciously offering your expertise in this area. May I ask what percentage of students are interested in organized labor (leading toward union leadership positions, organizing etc) vs practicing law or joining a major business organization etc.</p>

<p>Also, of these students, do many students graduate and then look for a job in a trade or government job (with a union) or do graduates mostly look for positions with in the union itself (ie do they become truck drivers and advance within that particular union or do they try to get hired by the Teamsters as an organizer etc.?</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>I'll answer the questions in chronological order</p>

<p>What did you think of the Becker house?
Loved it. Best non-freshman dorm at Cornell IMO. It's new and the biggest dorm on West. They have plenty of single rooms, suites, etc. The facilities in general are just very good compared to all of the other living arrangements on campus. It became my "base" for making friends and meeting people.</p>

<p>What job did you get and how hard was it to land a gig?
Trading at a BB. Got the internship my sophomore year after networking, and things were cake after that. Get a good GPA and some experience, you shouldn't have a problem getting interviews. </p>

<p>What were some of the challenges you faced as a transfer?
I personally had no trouble acclimating to the academics. I'd say one of the biggest issues that nearly every transfer faced was the living arrangement. It's entirely random because Cornell is a bit overpopulated and doesn't have much housing. I was placed on North campus with freshman (virtually all of the transfers were in my year), didn't get along with the people I was randomly placed with, and just in general wasn't happy. That all changed when I got my way and was placed on West with people my own age and chose who I wanted to be with.</p>

<p>how did you find your job?
On-campus interviews. Networking with alumni who come on campus for presentations.</p>

<p>Give me a typical day's reading load.
~50 pages a day/3 hours a day if you read everything assigned and really want that +3.5. If you don't read, it will hurt you. The questions on those tests are designed to screw people who did not read. I'll be honest, I didn't read much and did well, but the kids who did REALLY well read everything.</p>

<p>D is a recent ILR grad and also living in NYC. She is an fx derivative trader working in the investment banking division at a BB.
Funny, I probably know her. JPM right? haha</p>

<p>was there a large contingency of students going in the finance/business direction, as opposed to law school/public sector?
I think it was quite 50/50 for people going into finance or law from ILR. I'm just pulling this number out of the people I personally knew and met. Finance pays more no matter how you put it, so I feel like the people who didn't get right into finance opted to law.</p>

<p>would you say the ILR program affords its students the proper preparation for those interested in the finance industry?
It very much lies with the person who is applying. Anyone from any major can make it into finance - Cornell is Cornell. You have to network by yourself, get the GPA by yourself, study those Vault guides. You won't learn bond math in Labor Org, but you won't be expected to know that stuff BECAUSE you're in ILR, so they'll give you soft questions in those interviews like biggest strength/weakness, etc.</p>

<p>As for Weston's questions, yes I did know of a handful of people who were genuinely interested in going down the union path, but to be honest I didn't associate with them much and couldn't give you more clarity there. Link for postgrad info though: Postgraduate</a> Reports</p>

<p>Thank you, Jay. It is funny, I did see quite a bit of information after I posted. Your reply is very helpful and greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>which classes were most difficlut for you? how hard were you studying there?</p>