Recent UPenn-Wharton grad, was pre-med and now working in FAANG business role AMA!

Hello everyone, I’m a recent grad of University of Pennsylvania- The Wharton School and a former CC user. Since it’s college app season, I wanted to give back by doing this AMA.

I came from a first-gen low-income family. I applied to the College of Arts and Sciences at UPenn originally planning to be pre-med and was admitted ED. Later on internal transferred to Wharton. I’m now working in a business role in a FAANG company. Ask me anything!

2 Likes

Which FAANG company? They all have different company cultures so I wanted to know.

1 Like

Can you tell us a little bit about what kinds of things led you from preMed to business?

I work at Google. The culture is pretty different and Google tends to be more bureaucratic (like many other large companies)

1 Like

I was pre-med for about 2.5 semesters and took pretty much all the intro stem courses. Being pre-med at highly selective universities like Penn was really hard and I was not doing well mentally. The class sizes are very big so I felt like I wasn’t able to get help when I needed on the course. The curve for pre-med classes are also very tough, usually the average is curved to a B- or B and everyone at the institution is so bright making the competition even tougher. The class time is also longer, I think I was in lecture for 3 hours a week, plus 1 hour recitation, and then plus lab which is another 3 hours, and then you add in studying, homework, and exam on top of that.

When I decided I no longer want to be pre-med, why business specifically? I knew I needed a major that is employable and that I can finish within 2.5 years (I was already done with sophomore fall semester by then). The pre-med classes all counted for gen ed or free electives. If I had started off with business, my GPA would’ve been much higher. But at the end of the day, it still all worked out and I’m definitely very fortunate

2 Likes

I’m glad it worked out for you! I think it’s so hard to figure out what you’d like to do.