Recognizing passion

<p>Parents, how do you know you're passionate about doing something? Or how did you know?</p>

<p>IMO, if you are passionate about something you will not need to identify it and label it passion (unless you need to explain it for an application or something). Leave that to other people. You will just automatically be drawn to doing it.</p>

<p>For example, for a while I had what I guess you would call a passion for electronic tinkering. It was all I thought about (with the exception of when I had to think about my actual job at the time) - my little garage lab and the projects I was working on. My drawers at work were secretly filled with little schematics I was sketching out. They knew my name at the electronics parts store. It never would have occurred to me to think about whether I was "passionate" about it. Although looking back, at the time the label certainly fit.</p>

<p>Personally, I have never been able to be what I would call "passionate" about more than maybe two things at a time. They always seemed to crowd each other out, unless they were completely different things generally one involving something physical and the other something mental. But I suppose everyone is different.</p>

<p>Now I think I am just passionate about the various websites I can't seem to stop looking at. Like this one.</p>

<p>You know you're passionate about an activity when you do it in your spare time. When you don't have to, simply for the enjoyment.</p>

<p>My daughter wrote one of her college essays about art. Every day after school she would spend around an hour drawing or painting or building things when she was young, and by the time she'd reached high school, she had taught herself how to use Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and other graphics programs. She is now a college senior and still draws/designs/illustrates for fun.</p>

<p>Long ago, when I worked as a teacher, I remember one day driving to work and thinking, "I can't believe I'm paid to do this." That was a sort of revelation, because I had hoped to earn a living as an artist and had taken up teaching to earn a living. And yet, I really, really enjoyed teaching.</p>

<p>Just two examples of how you can know.</p>

<p>I was very much impressed with stories of my grandfather in Italy who was the town barber but acted as a physician to the very poor people of the town. I later was fascinated as I watched an ER doc suture my leg after a fall. I loved to take care little injuries that my cousins or friends would have. I had many dreams about being a doctor. I loved fixing things as a kid. i enjoyed science in high school........</p>

<p>You know you're passionate about something when you think about it a lot, go out of your way to do it, and would do it even if you didn't get paid for it or be able to impress colleges/employers/others due to your involvement with the activity.</p>

<p>It's like being in love with an activity. If you have to ask others about whether you're in love, you're not and never have been in love.</p>