Recommend other schools?

<p>Hi, I am a junior, and will probably apply to some of the Ivies and Haverford and Williams. Can you recommend some schools that are not as difficult to get admission to that are mid to large, in an urban environment? </p>

<p>I think I want to major in creative writing and physics. Also, will applying Early Action to schools give me any advantage?</p>

<p>Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>Some that come to mind: </p>

<p>Johns Hopkins (which has a particularly strong writing program), Northwestern, Georgetown, and UChicago all come to mind as schools that are slightly easier to get into than HPY, though perhaps not easier than all of the other Ivies. </p>

<p>Some other ideas (at a range of selectivity): Tufts, Barnard, Washington University in St. Louis, NYU, BC, BU, URochester, George Washington, Emory, Fordham, Carnegie Mellon, Tulane, American, some of the UCs.</p>

<p>On the West Coast, try Occidental, USC, UC Irvine, and the Claremont Consortium (multiple schools with shared facilities: Pomona, CMC, Scripps, Pitzer, Harvey Mudd).</p>

<p>USC and UC Irvine in particular are supposed to have great writing programs. </p>

<p>And the Claremont Consortium would be a great pick as well (all of the more liberal arts based schools have great writing programs, and you can take classes at Harvey Mudd, which is tops for physics).</p>

<p>Northwestern University has the location (possibly the best location in the country), the writing programs & offers a strong advantage to ED applicants. Admission is, however, difficult. Macalester College may be an option of interest to you.</p>

<p>Any reason you're applying to Haverford and Williams but not Swarthmore or Amherst? Amherst, for one, has a creative writing center with two writers on staff.</p>

<p>Check out the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. It has top ranked Writing and Physics departments and pretty much meets most of your criteria.</p>

<p>Hi, Catfish,
good question. I visited Swarthmore and just didn't feel like it was right for me. Everyone looked way serious and seemed to work all the time. I could be wrong, but that was my impression.</p>

<p>I haven't looked at Amherst -- thanks for the suggestion.</p>

<p>Blig, also look at Kenyon and Grinnell. Good luck!</p>

<p>"And the Claremont Consortium would be a great pick as well (all of the more liberal arts based schools have great writing programs, and you can take classes at Harvey Mudd, which is tops for physics)."</p>

<p>I agree that the Claremont Consortium is a fine choice. However, if one wishes to take physics classes at Mudd know it will not be a walk in the park. The classes are hard enough for dedicated majors and for the most part they are not "nice classes" to just take for kicks. I've never heard anyone voluntarily take HMC tech classes from off campus...but I'm sure someone from HMC (besides me) has.</p>

<p>It could also just be that I'm speaking from experience at HMC engineering. (3rd year)</p>

<p>A friend's daughter loves the writing program at Smith, and another poster has said it had a good physics department</p>