Recommendation letter

<p>I immigrated to Canada at the beginning of my sophomore year, so should I let my first English teacher to write a recommendation letter for me probably along the line of "how to overcome the barrier" because my mark in that class suffered in the beginning since I was completely ignorant of the essay format?
The only problem is that I am not sure whether he clearly remembers me, so I will probably give him a few of my essays to remind him.
Should I ask him?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>bump
10 char</p>

<p>
[quote]
should I let my first English teacher to write a recommendation letter for me probably along the line of "how to overcome the barrier" because my mark in that class suffered in the beginning since I was completely ignorant of the essay format?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I'm not sure. You want to ask teachers who admire you for your strength and assets... did your mark significantly improve afterwards?</p>

<p>
[quote]
The only problem is that I am not sure whether he clearly remembers me

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That is slightly worrying.</p>

<p>Don't let a teacher recommend you that didn't have strong enough of a relationship with you to ensure the fact that he still remembers you. Having a Canadian teacher recommend you will not harm you in any way. Canadians are just as good as Americans. Really.</p>

<p>Just kidding.</p>

<p>
[quote]
did your mark significantly improve afterwards

[/quote]

Yes I did make significant improvements. My sophomore English mark went from 70+ at parent-teacher interview (I know, a big shame but I was completely ignorant of the correct format for the assignments) to 90+ at the end of the semester. </p>

<p>The problem is that I don't have anybody else to verify the fact that I am a recent immigrant. All my marks in other classes (including other humanities classes) are in steady 90+s from the beginning of the semester to the end. Should I just ask a teacher to mention my recent immigration in his/her letter? I do have two teachers besides this English teacher in mind. </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>"Should I just ask a teacher to mention my recent immigration in his/her letter?"</p>

<p>I would ask your guidance counselor to mention it instead. My logic is that since you can obviously write and read very well, there would've been no reason for your English teachers to even suspect that you are a recent immigrant, which is actually a plus. Having an English teacher elaborate on your initial "poor" writing skills (though temperary, and as you have said, might have been a result of misunderstanding of the essay format) may unintentionally give an admission officer the wrong impression about your ability if he or she is not reading carefully enough (or too into the lines)... Anyway, that was just a random thought. Rely on your own judgement :).</p>

<p>^Thanks. :)</p>

<p>10 char</p>

<p>One more question: Should I ask the teachers for recommendation letters in the beginning of next semester or at the end of this semester?</p>

<p>I can't imagine that any teacher wouldn't appreciate an early heads-up, but if you want to wait until after the summer that wouldn't be considered wrong or rude.</p>