Recommendation letters?

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>I am currently on temporary absent from my college for two years due to the military service in my home country, and I am planning to transfer to other colleges when my military service is almost over. However, I've realized that I would need a letter of recommendation from professors in order to apply to other colleges, and obviously it would be better to ask for my professors for the letter of receommendation now rather than two years later. So... here goes my question, when I was in high school, counselling office took care of letters of recommendation from teachers and sent them to the colleges I applied so that I could not read those letters. Is this still happening in the college-level, too? If so, what should I do in my case? </p>


<p>In college you have to talk to your professor to get a letter of recommendation.</p>

<p>I know, but is the professor going to send the letter of recommendation directly to the colleges I will be applying or what... I don't know exatly how this stuff works...

<p>Yes, the professor sends LORs directly to the colleges. Ask them now if they wouldn't mind sending the LOR in two years. You might want to ask an "extra" prof, because there is no guarantee a prof will be around in two years. You might also want to give the professor envelopes with "forever stamps" to facilitate the process.</p>

<p>The idea of asking a professor to send a letter of recommendation after two years seems kinda weird... I've been looking around for other solutions, and I heard that a letter of recommendation is not necessarily from a professor, but it can also be from a military officer, is this right? For my case, although I am doing the military service in my home country, I'm going to spend my two years in the U.S. Army staying in the country, so the officers there will all be Americans. Is it going to work?</p>

<p>The colleges I applied to wanted academic references, but your situation/ schools are different.</p>