Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy?

<p>Does anybody have any experience with RSD? I broke my right wrist 9 years ago and was diagnosed with RSD. I was very lucky from what I understand because my pain was not severe. I was treated with nerve blocks and have done well for all these years. I get occasional bouts of pain and/or weakness, but after a day or two, my symptoms would subside. But I have had pain from wrist up to my elbow, sometimes into my upper arm and fingers, for about a week now. I can turn my wrist in as usual, but my turn out is pretty bad, about half my usual. I knew the RSD was something that could come and go, but it has never been this bad. Fortunately, my pain is not too bad, 3-5 on a scale of 1-10 and is achey, not sharp. But it is disrupting my sleep and causing general crankiness, lol. Anyone have any experience with RSD?</p>

<p>Bump for the day crowd!</p>


<p>I am sorry that your pain is getting worse. I would definitely get started on some physical therapy as soon as possible, as this may help ameliorate the symptoms more than anything else. If you have a chronic pain doctor, see who he/she recommends; if you don't, make sure you call around and find which PT/OTs specialize in pain management. This chronic pain condition is now called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, but many people still go by Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. You may find more up-to-date info on the newer name, which dates from 1994 or so.</p>

<p>I did my master's thesis on CRPS, but that was 17 years ago, so I am not up on the latest research. I do know that physical therapy, which would include a resistive exercise and range of motion program, especially including load-bearing weight, has been known to have good results, and that is still being used today, along with nerve blocks, medication, etc. Part of my research project focused on people with upper extremity CRPS doing functional weight-bearing activities such as scrubbing floors, carrying heavy sacks, etc., and they were able to get some relief. </p>

<p>I hope you are able to find a therapist who specializes in this very frustrating, difficult diagnosis and stop it in its tracks. Hopefully, you already have a chronic pain specialist. Please let me know how it goes.</p>

<p>Return to your pain clinic/physician. Another nerve block may do the trick and an oral medication may be used also. A retired anesthesiologist, I never heard of PT being used, especially in recent CME material. 17 years is a long time ago for quoting therapies- some come and go as newer data is gathered. It is interesting how long you can get pain relief after a block wears off- worth another visit to see if it is again recommended. Don't wait until the pain gets worse, easier to get better, long term relief sooner than later.</p>

<p>Thank you both for your replies. I had both OT and PT 9 years ago when my injury occurred, as well as the nerve blocks, but I have not had any treatment since spring of 2003. Fortunately, my pain has subsided for now, but I will see my Dr. if it flares up again.</p>

<p>you may also need to have evaluation for carpel tunnel or ulnar tunnel syndrome (at the elbow instead of the wrist). That can form after a fracture, and is also common with CRPS.</p>