Regenerative Medicine

<p>I am interested in pursuing a career in this field. What sort of education plan would I follow to do so?
I thought I could just become a bioengineer to do so, but now I'm concerned that I would need to be an M.D.</p>

<p>This depends on what you want to do. Are you interested in stem cell research? If so, a Phd or MD/Phd would be best. If you are interested in transplant biology, specifically performing transplants, you would need surgical training which can be acquired through a degree program for MD or DO, or through nursing. If you're interested in drug development for regenerative medicine a Phd would be best. If you're interested in dispensing drugs used for regenerative medicine, a PharmD would be the right degree program. Biomedical engineering isn't bad preparation for any of these degree programs though if you're more interested in cell biology, you can dispense with the engineering aspect and studying cell or molecular biology.</p>

<p>I agree, it depends on what your interests are, more so than what you ultimately want to end up doing. Biomedical engineering will teach you a lot about mechanics, forces, and electricity. So you could figure out a scaffold/gel/substrate to grow stem cells on and figure out how the electrical/mechanical environment influences the cell's behavior. The cell is largely a black box to engineers; forces go in, cell response comes out.</p>

<p>OTOH if you're more interested in stem cells themselves, go molec & cell bio. You'll study what chemicals make the cells differentiate into tissues, what genes get turned on, etc. Contrasted with biomedical engineers, you will know a lot more about signaling pathways that control gene regulation in response to mechanical forces, but you'll know less about the mathematical equations of said forces.</p>

<p>Both are essential to regenerative medicine and one is not "better" that the other; it all depends on what you want to study.</p>