@MYOS1634 Thanks! I’ll sure send them to you when I’ve drafted them. (Warning: they may be terrible, amazing, or anywhere in between. I’m a moody writer.) I’m sticking at UNM for several reasons including:
- Affordability: Will probably get tuition + fees + books. I will be living at home unless I get Regents, so either way it's affordable there. My parents will pay gas, food, and the differential on books. Without National Merit (which I don't have because I didn't take the PSAT last year), many places aren't affordable.
- Academics: As of next semester, I'll have completed the statistics major and have 4 courses left for math. There are several excellent professors available for at least 3 of the courses. There is a math professor with whom I plan to do departmental honors (undergraduate thesis) - I've taken 3 courses with him as well, and I'm quite interested in his research areas. I also love the French program, and plan to minor in French. (I have free credit hours and enjoy French - why not?) I'll also be able to take some financial courses to help prepare for Exam 2/FM (I hope to take Exam 1/P in summer/early fall 2017).
- Extras: I can take a few music courses, hopefully join the auditioned chorus, intern at AFRL and/or Sandia, mentor others, improve chess, etc. I can also serve as an assistant director in my current choir.
- Tutoring: I will likely be a math, stats, and/or French tutor. I really appreciate the French tutors and would love to help others.
- My parents don't want me to go anywhere else, and it doesn't make sense for me to stay in high school for my "senior" year. (I'm still a minor in fall)
No, I’m not retaking the SAT. I have neither desire nor time to study, and without study, my score isn’t likely to improve. The ACT is at least fresh and slightly more interesting to study.
During my 2 years at UNM, I plan to complete preliminary actuarial exams while also looking into graduate study, SMART/Palace Acquire, etc. Unless I wildly change focus (e.g. math to biology) I will not return to UNM for my graduate degree - I’ll try for somewhere more prestigious (MIT, Dartmouth, UCB, UMich, École Polytechnique, Cambridge, Oxford, Landau, Swedish KTH,…)
I’m comfortable and happy with UNM and am not inclined to go anywhere else. Sure, I could possibly get in to a some school if I improved my scores, took subject tests, etc… but if I’m happy and have career options, why bother?