Registering for classes

<p>i know that for incoming frosh we will be likely registering for classes at orientation but I looked at the curriculum search website and some classes I want to take are full even though they aren't like Chem 3A. Will there be enough room in classes like Chem 3A, Math 34A, and MS27 for incoming frosh?</p>

<p>MS27 is the only one you will have any trouble getting. Chem 1A (there is no 3A) and Math 34A are huge classes and are closed so incoming freshman can get spots during orientation. You will not have any problem with those.</p>

<p>I saw that too and I was getting a little worried. So they are only closing it off to save room for freshman?</p>

<p>Do you think its the same for foreign language classes as well? Because I saw that Elementary Russian was practically full, if not yet full.</p>

<p>Yes, they close off many entry level classes to save room for incoming freshman. Each chem 1A class, for example, have about 350 seats. Arthi6A normally has 450+ seats even though it's currently being shown as being maxed out at 106 seats.</p>

<p>I doubt the same can be said for language classes since language classes are set in small classroom setting with 30 students per classroom.</p>

<p>I also saw those full classes. I went back to the Fall 2009 course listings and saw that the final counts in Chemistry and Math were much higher that the 2010 numbers. This led me to believe that they are saving spots for freshmen. The Physics class (6A) is full and looks like it isn't going to get any larger. </p>

<p>How about a class like Writing 2? are spots saved for freshman there as well?</p>

<p>And if I am going in to Fall 2010 with 40+ transferable units, will my priority improve in the winter 2011 quarter since I will sort of have Sophomore standing?</p>

<p>@ Californiadreamn
They are saving seats for freshman for Writing 2. Right now, they're only allowing 5 people per class. Writing classes usually end up with 25 people per class.</p>

<p>I'm not going to freshman orientation, so I have to register for classes early September. (I'm assuming I get last pick.) Am I going to be able to get any good classes?</p>

<p>I have heard rumors from other students that registering for classes on your own through the GOLD system will actually allow you to get a better shot at classes than the orientation registration.</p>

<p>However, in an impacted program like Biology, I'm not sure if this is true.</p>

<p>I guess you might be able to...Can you get on GOLD to check your pass time or check classes? I'm not sure if it would even help though...upperclassman have already taken all the "hard to get" classes for fall.</p>