Registration for 2011 Rush

<p>Does anyone know when registration for rush opens? And where do I register?</p>

<p>I was just looking at this earlier! You can register now I think! [Fraternities</a> and Sororities - USC Greek Life - University of Southern California](<a href=“http://usc.greekrecruitment.com/]Fraternities”>http://usc.greekrecruitment.com/)</p>

<p>Hey, I’ve read the descriptions of the types of Greek councils but I’m still not really clear about the difference between the Multicultural Greek Council and the Panhellenic/Interfraternity Council. Can someone please explain the differences?</p>

<p>hmm, how to explain this…
PHC/IFC are stereotypical Greeks. They’re like the ones are are lampooned in Sydney White, SNL, The House Bunny, etc, though USC Greek life is not at all like those movies. They’re nationally recognized sororities & fraternities that are present on campuses across the country, like Kappa Kappa Gamma or Sigma Chi (it seems like those two are at EVERY campus). They take members of all races, though they historically tend to be mostly white. But everyone is welcome and encouraged to go through recruitment!</p>

<p>Multicultural Greek houses are geared towards one ethnicity or cultural group, usually. Maybe it’s because I’m in PHC/IFC Greek life, but I don’t think they have as much of a presence on campus as the PHC & IFC sororities & fraternities. </p>

<p>Euhhh sorry if this isn’t a very good explanation, I don’t really know how to explain it.</p>

<p>Multicultural: Still sororities and fraternities, but not the traditional “Greek” houses that most USC students think of. These are Greek groups more geared towards multicultural populations at the school (ie: Black, Hispanic, etc.)</p>

<p>See: [Multicultural</a> Greek Council - USC Greek Life - University of Southern California](<a href=“http://usc.greekrecruitment.com/council/MGC]Multicultural”>http://usc.greekrecruitment.com/council/MGC)</p>

<p>Panhellenic/Interfraternity: The Greek houses that most people know/try to become involved in.</p>

<p>EDIT: Seems I posted at the same time. But I will add that the Multicultural Greek organizations are very present on campus and some of the frats/sororities in the MC umbrella have their own houses off the row. Like I said, they are geared towards minority/cultural student populations, so they are probably more well-known than the traditional Greek orgs amongst those students. I knew a few people in the Latina and Asian sororities and they liked how off the “main grid” they were from the IFC/Panhellenic houses.</p>

<p>Okay, thanks for the helpful replies!! :)</p>

<p>Wait, I have another question. What’s the difference between Multicultural Greek Council and National Panhellenic Greek Council/Asian Greek Council? I understand that NPHC consists of Black sororities and AGC Asian sororities. And from the explanations above, MGC constitutes of fraternities and sororities for minorities. So how’re they different?</p>

<p>MGC actually consists of mainly (if not all I think) Latino/a sororities. Of course, like NPHC and AGC, all races are accepted, but it will mostly be hispanic members</p>

<p>MGC also has general “multicultural” sororities that accept females of mixed race and all races, not just Hispanics.</p>

<p>Do you have to register by a certain date? Or can you do it in the first week of classes and still be able to rush? I’m just not sure at this point if I’m going to rush or not.</p>

<p>I’m in a predominantly Asian fraternity that’s MGC. MGC is primarily Latino as we’re the only predominantly Asian one as all the others seem to have a Latino focus or otherwise. Anyone of any race can pledge just like IFC haha. There is a large AGC presence and MGC presence on campus if you’re looking for it. It’s pretty seperated from IFC and PHC. I interact mostly in the sphere of AGC and Asian people in general and Asian American focused organizations so I guess that is my niche. There’s a niche for everybody :)</p>