remarriage and FAFSA

<p>Are there any situations in which remarriage does not require consideration of the stepparent income in the formula for loan eligiblity? An accountant has suggested that we could benefit from married filing separately status with the IRS but I'm not seeing that in the info I've been reading.</p>

<p>Are there any situations in which remarriage does not require consideration of the stepparent income in the formula for loan eligibility?</p>

<p>When a parent remarries- her/his spouse takes upon mantle of a parent- not displacing former parent- but still is part of the family & income is considered.</p>

<p>Accountant doesn't know what they are talking about.</p>

<p>Your tax filing status has absolutely NO BEARING on your filing status for financial aid for FAFSA or CSS Profile purposes. If you are married, the income of BOTH (parent and spouse) MUST be listed on both forms. No exceptions. And no, the colleges really don't care if your new spouse isn't going to pay for college. He or she is contributing to your FAMILY income and therefore are calculated into your FAMILY contribution for colleges.</p>

<p>The only time a stepparent's income is not considered is if the parent is not custodial.</p>

<p>Wait a minute- the OP isn't asking for aid/EFC, she's asking about loan eligibility. Whether or not the stepparent's income is include (which it will be) will only (possibly) impact unsub vs sub loans. Either way, it wouldn't impact the student's Stafford loan eligibility. They would still be eligible for the same amounts (no matter how the parent files). </p>

<p>I guess it could impact Perkins loans. </p>

<p>But there will be no benefits to filing separately. The spouse's income will impact the EFC and it needs to be included.</p>

<p>I am not clear on what you are asking but only a parent can obtain a parent PLUS loan (unless the step has adopted the student). I think the PLUS loan would consider the parents income to determine loan eligibility - regardless of tax filing.
Direct</a> Loans—Parent PLUS Information</p>

<p>PLUS only considers the credit history of the parent who is applying.</p>