replacement grade?

<p>Ok, i just received my grade today for a summer class i took a week ago. When i look at my overall cumulative GPA, it only went up .1. Before i took that class i spoke with an adviser that told me if i were to retake a course i got a grade letter D or an F, the initial
grade will no longer be computed into the cumulative grade point average and only the new grade will be computed. I understand the initial grade i got for the class still remains on my official transcript but i am worried that i spend over 1k retaking a class that i did well in but didnt boost my GPA as high as i've hoped.</p>

<p>any answer would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>You need to contact your school about grade replacement. Often there is a form to fill out before your grade is replaced on your transcript. </p>

<p>Many schools only allow 2 grade replacements, so if you have used up your prior 2 replacements already, you can't get another.</p>

<p>ominousrun- My schools offer up to 16 credit of replacement(up to 4-5 classes). This is actually my very first time. Should i appeal this with the financial aid office? That seems to be the only reasonable place to go. Thank you for your quick and in depth response. </p>

<p>Vladenschlutte- You should easily be able to follow what i'm asking even if i did directly pose a question. Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts on here, much appreciated.</p>

<p>How many cumulative credits do you have so far? If you have quite a few, then one class will probaly not make that much of a difference to you cumualtive GPA.</p>

<p>For instance if you have 70 credits, 67 Bs at 3 per credit and one class a D so 3 credits at 1, your cumulative GPA would be 2.914. If you retake the D and get a B, the cumulative GPA would become a 3.0, an increase of .09 . Even an A would only increase it by .13 ish. Remember those points are divided by all your credits to get the average GPA.</p>

<p>If you have less cumulative credits the impact would be higher. If you have more, the impact would be even lower.</p>

<p>What effect were you expecting it to have? You s/b able to calculate it mathematically.</p>

<p>I don't quite understand what the financial aid office would have to do with this and why you would appeal it with them. They do not calculate your GPA. Or are you in danger of losing you FA because of grades?</p>

<p>i have a total of 30 credits that includes the 2 (4) credit math course i took and retook. i just want the highest GPA possible when i plan to transfer out next year. Before i retook the course this summer, my gpa stood at a 2.61. Now with the "A" i retrieved, my gpa went up to 2.79. If it had replaced the D i got initially, my gpa would've been 3.075 which i want so direly. I hate the thought of having a GPA lowered than the minimum 3.0. </p>

<p>I just assume that the financial office is the place to turn to since i was able to change my major through there. I guess my major department is where i should be going, right?</p>

<p>i also read from my school's catalog that: It is the responsibility of the student to petition the registrar if the student does not wish the failing grade to be deleted from the cumulative grade point average. Doesn't this mean that the replacement should be done by nature?</p>

<p>Normally i would expect it to be the registrar's office or your major advisor to be the one to talk to about grades rather than the FA office. But then I am surprised you would be able to change your major through the FA dept, so your school seems to have some different ways to the schools I am familiar with.</p>

<p>One thing to check is if your school has different cumulative GPAs for different purposes. Our school has the cumulative graduation GPA, which would reflect the replacement grade. It also has another GPA that would include both grades (it is required for FA elivibility puroses i think). Then it has another one that i have not been able to figure out what it means. So you may find that your graduation GPA reflects the replacement grade, but the other one would reflect both grades. Your registrars office or advisor (or whoever deals with grade stuff at your school) should be able to explain it all to you.</p>

<p>Thank you. You have been a great deal of help. I'll go down to my college tmmr or the beginning of the fall semester to have them further explain it in great detail. Thanks again :)</p>