Reporting AP scores to colleges: Required?

<p>I'm currently a junior and will be taking a couple of APs this year. I will be applying to HYPSM-like schools which have their own forms for reporting which AP test you took and your score.</p>

<p>Are you required to list all of AP scores or can you pick and choose?</p>

<p>The list should be complete. The application has a certification that the information you are submitting is accurate. The colleges will give you the benefit of your best scores.</p>

<p>Okay thanks. But how will a low score (e.g., 3 or lower) affect my chances to HYPSM?</p>

<p>The AP tests I'm taking are independent study and my stats for the school I'm applying to are just average.</p>

<p>I think tokenadult had a thread on this issue awhile ago, and I disagree with his/her position. Only 4's & 5's will help a HYPSM wannabe, and that's what I would recommend you limit the scores to, as long as they are "accurate". IMO, it's no different than just listing your one highest ACT score. And, it's no different than just listing 2-3 quality ECs even tho you may have played a decent role in a couple of others.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Only 4's & 5's will help a HYPSM wannabe

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I would ask for evidence about this, because it is implausible to me that having no score at all, which suggests no acquaintance with the subject at all, is better than having a low score that at least indicates an effort to learn the subject (possibly from a lousy teacher at a school in a neighborhood not focused on APs) and a daring to show up to take the test.</p>

<p>
[quote]
having no score at all, which suggests no acquaintance with the subject at all...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>And, I would ask for "evidence" for this. :)</p>

<p>IMO, no score means no score. The adcom can only conclude that the student did not take the test, or the student took the test and opted not to provide the score, perhaps due to a bad teacher, perhaps due to a bad day..... That is all that an adcom can conclude; "acquaintance" or knowledge with the material is idle speculation. </p>

<p>Why is this different than taking 4+ Subject Test scores and putting down your best two (or three). Will the adcom assume no knowledge of material if taking AP Physics but no physics Subject Test?</p>

<p>And, yes, I have no "evidence" but possibly (il)logic. Those at the top of the USNews food chain give credit for 5's and some 4's. Assuming that those colleges have considered the AP curriculum and found value for such scores in their matriculants, it's my conclusion that such scores can help an applicant. (Ditto AP 3's at most public colleges.) Since HYPSM et al does not award credit for a 3 or below, those scores will be of little help to most applicants. OTOH, a 3 from an inner city, low income applicant could be an excellent score, given the context. </p>

<p>I just suggest that just bcos the Common App asks for a bunch of stuff (i.e., parent's employers and colleges), an applicant does not have to provide full details if the 'stuff' doesn't strengthen his/her app. But, yes, an applicant should be 100% truthful - always.</p>

<p>Like I said tokenadult..on this issue, we should just agree to disagree.</p>

<p>So......withholding AP scores may result in admission being rescinded?</p>

<p>I think I should have saved a link to a post by a guy who was admitted to one of the HYP colleges (or maybe more than one of them) two admission rounds ago who said that Harvard admission officers visit his specific high school (a prep school on the west coast) and say to report EVERYTHING about your testing and academic record. Don't try to be cute about what to include and what to admit, just report everything and let the admission officers figure out what it all means. Honesty and openness counts for more than having a few more points on a few tests. </p>

<p>I cannot confirm anything of the above statement from my own observation--this exact question hasn't come up in quite this form in any HYP admission information session I have attended. But the story is plausible to me, and the CC participant who told it appeared to end up at one of those colleges. The basic operative principle here is don't worry about a low score here or there. The low score is a fact, but trying to hide that kind of fact is not as cool as just reporting it and reporting what else you were doing with your time in high school. Check the application form of your favorite college to see how many spaces are available for reporting test scores. </p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/371690-colleges-request-ap-scores-their-application-forms.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/371690-colleges-request-ap-scores-their-application-forms.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thanks for the advice!</p>