Residency for Tuition Purposes

<p>I’ve had a couple of questions about this and was wondering if anybody could help me.
Some background info: I live in Georgia with my mother. My dad has lived in California for 20+ years and I’m dependent on him. I’m also under the age of 24 (read somewhere that being under 24 is important). I plan to use this as my reason for in-state tuition.

  1. Do they determine whether you’re eligible for in-state tuition before or after you are (hopefully) accepted? I’ve heard that they’ve been recruiting more OOS for money but I know that the OOS acceptance rate is still small. I’m just worried that they’ll be like “Oh, look! An OOS student who can bring in more money. But wait, it looks like they qualify for in-state tuition; oh well! Next application!”
  2. What documents do I need to show to prove my dad’s residency and my dependence on him?
    Any other info that you think is valuable would be EXTREMELY appreciated!
    Thanks everyone! :)</p>

<p>Assuming you are a HS senior, currently applying to UC, you do not qualify as a California resident. You personally would have to move to California and be here for a year before you start UC. Also, things are tighter than they used to be. Once the determination is made, it sticks. So you can’t reapply as in-state after your freshman year, claiming then that you’ve been here a year. </p>

<p>The rules are tough. [Office</a> of the University Registrar: California Residence for Purposes of Tuition](<a href=“]Office”></p>

<p>See item 2:
“The adult student (at least 18 years of age) and parent must have been physically present in the state for 366 days prior to the first day of instruction (the UC Residence Determination Date) of the term for which he/she wishes to be considered a resident;”</p>