Residency-my life's over for real

<p>I just got out of state residency even though my parents and I have been here for 2 YEARS!! The very reason I came here in the first place was to go to school cheaper than out o fstate. Ugh!!</p>

<p>I have no idea what I'm going to do b/c I can't even afford Cal in state. WHat would yo udo? omg. Panic mode. crap.</p>

<p>You can always petition for reclassification. Contact the residence affairs office asap. (I might as well give you the number now: 510-6425990 9am-4pm) If you're going to CalSo, you should drop by and sort things out.</p>

<p>hey i have to submit documents to prove my residency too. You guys think I can drop those off while at CalSo on 7/1? I hate sending things because the postal service often loses stuff.</p>

<p>Get a job lazy boy.</p>

<p>^ You can submit them by hand at the registrars, that's what I did with UCLA. They classified me as a resident a week after.</p>

<p>I had a job until a month ago, lovely commentator lol. I worked at the worst store.
Ok-I'm coming down from the craziness-My dad is going to write a huge letter-I would've done it, but he says he could do it better-whatever haha, as long as it gets me out of this pile of oongapash.</p>

<p>you have to be in California for 3 years or have graduated from a California high school to classify for instate tuition. however, if you don't meet those requirements there is also an appeal you can write.</p>

<p>That's very weird the website states that one year of continuous presence in California coupled with demonstrated intent to stay in California warrants one in-state tuition! Call them asap!</p>

<p>Yeah, don't listen to ciaokarol. It is only one year physical presence with demonstrated intent to stay (paid taxes, driver's license, registered car in state, etc.,) I would definitely call and try to sort it out. If you worked in state for the last two years, have a CA driver's license and car registered in CA, I bet you will be good. If you don't have those things, I wish you luck. I can only imagine the disbelief and pain you are feeling. :( Good Luck.</p>

<p>Oh--I had only been working for 10 months--seriously, cali is ridiculous with its residency req's!! I don't get it.</p>

<p>what I'm talking about is ab540. look it up i'm not making it up or anything. i think it's mainly for undocumented students but not exclusively for them. that states you have to be here for 3 years but it's not the same for everybody so don't take my word for it. i was just trying to help</p>

<p>^ Yup, but it's not the only way to get residency status.</p>

<p>In my case, I sent LA photocopies of my and my parents' I-94, visa, drivers license, ID, EAC, and rent contracts to show how long I've been in the state. Make sure you give them every document you can to strengthen your appeal, works better than writing a letter.</p>

<p>I am classified as a non-resident but they gave me a tuition waiver so I still pay resident tuition. Just send them the documents they ask for, and chances are you get classified as you should. If not you can always appeal, but find out why they didn't give you a waiver.</p>

<p>@rawfulmao how did you get that waiver if you don't mind me asking?</p>



<p>This is what I was talking about earlier that you cannot be here solely for educational purposes and establish residency.</p>

<p>It seems the only way you can have California residency without being financially independent is if your parents moved here when you were still a minor:</p>

If the California resident parent(s) of an eligible minor moves from California, the minor will be entitled to resident classification as long as the minor enrolls full-time in a California public post-secondary institution within one calendar year of the parent's departure, and remains physically present in California. This classification will continue until the minor has attained the age of majority and has resided in California for the minimum time required to become a resident. Once the student attains the age of majority and maintains their residency, they will continue to have that classification as long as they are enrolled as a full time student. The financial independence requirement does not apply in this case.


<p>You can always appeal, but it looks like you may be out of luck if you don't meet the qualifications for being financially independent and if your parents moved here after you turned 18. California may be "ridiculous" with its residency requirements, but many other states are similar. Some won't even let you establish residency while you're attending school at all. Remember that paying in-state fees instead of paying out of state tuition means your education is being subsidized by state funds. That is why residency is so difficult to establish for tuition purposes in most states.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

Establishing</a> Legal Residence - Office Of The Registrar
Rules</a> Applying to Minors - Office Of The Registrar</p>


<p>Well I suppose my immigration status allows me to pay residence tuition, because all I did was send them the documents they requested, and they sent me a letter telling me I qualified for a non-immigrant tuition waiver.</p>

<p>No I'm not financially independent are you kidding me lol-this state is CRAZY expensive!!!</p>