Residency-out of state?

<p>OK, son will be looking into this but wanted to tap the parental wisdom here also:</p>

<p>He's been instate for undergrad, will now attend grad out of state for 2 yrs.
Either will live on campus or in apt off campus, don't know which yet.
Will he need to change his driver's license and insurance?

<p>Our son did not change his permanent address. It is here...different state than where his school is located. BUT he could have changed it all. In our case, our health and car insurance policies could continue to carry him IF his residency was in our state. If he changed residency, he would have needed to get his own individual health insurance policy AND his own car insurance (and renter's insurance). Since he was covered under a group health insurance plan, it made no sense (or expense sense) to have him change his place of residency. We were paying more than 1/2 of his expenses so we still declared him as a dependent on OUR taxes. He was still a college student who continued to come HERE during breaks.</p>

<p>Sttes may have different regulations about this so he really needs to check the specifics of the state in which he will be living. If car is in his own name and insurance rates are lower in the new state he will want to change; also if he wants to vote in the new state he may want to change driver's license.</p>

<p>Thanks, thumper1.</p>

<p>Yours is the answer we want.
If possible, we will keep his permanent address in our home state.
Unfortunately, he is aging off of our health insurance (age 23) and we'll have to find other coverage, either through school or online privately. A whole nuther project.
But his driving record has been clean and it is much less expensive to keep him on our car insurance and leave permanent residency as is than to have him get his own policy.</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick feedback.</p>

Two states are NJ and Conn, probably equally high for car insurance!
He will check our specifics to be sure.

<p>In CA, by law a car will need CA plates within 20 days upon entry. To register the vehicle, one needs a CA driver's license. You may want to check with the particular state law. If the person is a student, once he rents a residence off campus, he needs to register his vehicle in the state. I live in a college town and police here are on a lookout for illegally registered cars with out of state license plates.</p>

<p>From the State of Connecticut website:</p>

<p>Full time students living in Connecticut but maintaining out of state or out of country permanent residency do not have to obtain a Connecticut license as long as full-time student status is in effect. Once full-time student status is terminated (according to school records), you have 30 days to obtain a Connecticut license.</p>

<p>So, it seems that our son will not need to obtain a driver license in connecticut while a student.....I hope that means the car can remain registered in NJ as well?....
I'll continue to investigate. Each state does do things differently it seems.</p>

<p>Isn't the internet wonderful?</p>