Resident Tuition Qualification

<p>I'm a resident of Michigan and will graduate from a Michigan high school. For my undergrad, I'd like to move out of state because of scholarship opportunities for National Merit Finalists.</p>

<p>Will I be able to come back to Michigan for my graduate degree and still be classified as a resident?</p>

<p>This is what the University of Michigan has to say about it:

The following circumstances and activities, though not conclusive or exhaustive, may lend support to a claim to eligibility for resident classification if all other applicable Guidelines are met:
■ both parents/parents-in-law (in the case of divorce, one parent/parent-in-law) permanently domiciled in Michigan as demonstrated by permanent employment in the state, establishment of a primary household in Michigan, and severance of out-of-state ties. Applicant must also show severance of out-of-state ties.


<p>My parents would obviously be staying in Michigan, but the fact that it says this "may lend support to a claim to eligibility" makes it sound very vague to me. I'm also not sure what the "other applicable Guidelines" are exactly. </p>

<p>I know I'd have to apply to qualify for resident tuition after studying in another state, but it's hard to get a conclusive answer from the information on the website. Anyone have experience with this sort of situation?</p>

<p>Here's UM's SOM statement on in-state classification.</p>

<p>Here are the supporting documents that UM SOM will require to support a residency petition</p>

Along with the completed Application for Resident Classification form, you must submit the following:</p>

<p>for all applicants: copies of your driver's license and the license(s) of the person or persons upon whom you are basing your claim to resident eligibility.</p>

<p>for all applicants: copies of the front and signature pages of the most recent year's federal and state income tax returns and W2 forms for you and the person or persons upon whom you are basing your claim to resident eligibility.</p>

<p>for applicants born outside the U.S.: verification of U.S. citizenship or visa status.</p>

<p>for applicants who are dependents (see section B-2): copies of the front and signature pages of your parents' most recent year's federal and state income tax returns with accompanying W2 forms.</p>

<p>for applicants whose claim to eligibility for resident classification is based on permanent, full-time employment for themselves, a spouse, partner, or parent: a letter from the employer, written on letterhead (including phone number), stating the position, status, and dates of employment. In addition to the letter, provide a copy of the most recent pay stub showing that Michigan taxes are being withheld.</p>

<p>for all applicants: any other documentation that supports your claim to resident eligibility.


<p>I've looked pretty closely at the requirements since D2 may be moving to Ann Arbor this fall. We're trying to figure out the best place for her to try to establish state residency for the purposes of applying to med school.</p>

<p>According to my reading of this--you would have a pretty good case for claiming MI residency so long as you maintain your bank accounts, driver's license, voter's registration, etc in MI. And file MI state taxes every year while you're in college. But you would need to file a residency petition to request confirmation of in-state status since you would have lived outside the state during the past 3 years. (UM's SOM says that even if you live outside MI for educational purposes or military service, you lose your automatic resident status.)</p>

<p>P.S. If you really mean grad school (as opposed to med school) then if you plan on going to grad school in a STEM field, your residency really doesn't matter all that much since STEM grad students are almost always supported by the academic department. (IOW, they get a tuition waiver along with a a stipend for living expenses.)</p>

<p>Ah sorry, yes I meant med school!</p>

<p>Anyways, it sounds to me like it will be a bit of a hassle to get the resident tuition. Might have to fight tooth-and-nail for it, but it they'll probably let me keep it. I wish they'd give more details about the "Application for Resident Classification form," but I guess that's the most they have to say about the matter.</p>

<p>I would think that most OOS undergrads keep their home state residency. If you are a dependant, keep your drivers license etc, cant see how a med school in your home state would deny you. Maybe I am missing something but D1 is going to undergrad in NOLA and is planning on Med School. We just assumed that Illinois, where we reside would be her resident state.</p>

<p>It's my understanding that unless you establish residency in another state that the state in which you graduate from high school remains your "home" state until you choose otherwise. There is a clause in the information I read and I would have to look it up again that basically says that your residency does not change if you go to another state for the sole purpose of going to school. This works both ways, trying to GAIN residency in the state in which you go to school as well as keeping your home residency I would think.</p>

<p>By establishing residency in another state that would mean you stay on campus through the summers and obtain a non-college job while not taking classes, so the short of it, go home in the summers and work in your home town.</p>

<p>Actually, Michigan is pretty strict about where you attend college.</p>

<p>UM's SOM wesbite says:</p>

The University of Michigan’s tuition structure is two-tiered, reflecting resident and nonresident rates. If you believe you are eligible to pay tuition at the resident rate and any of the following circumstances apply, you must file an Application for Resident Classification and be approved in order to qualify for in-state tuition:</p>

<p>You currently live outside the state of Michigan for any purpose, including, but not limited to, education, volunteer activities, military service, travel and/or employment.
**You have attended or graduated from a college outside the state of Michigan.<a href="my%20emphasis">/b</a>
You have been employed or domiciled outside the state of Michigan within the last 3 years.


<p>plus a whole list of other things which would disqualify from in-state residency.....</p>

<p>University</a> of Michigan Medical School :: Admissions :: Requirements</p>

<p>You may be able to claim residency as a dependent of your parents, so be sure to check that aspect.</p>