Retake SAT with 35 ACT?

<p>I took the SAT I in January and got a 2100, definitely planned on raising it. </p>

<p>My SAT Subjects are Chem-680, WorldHistory-720, UShistory-800, MathII-800, so I think those are fine if you look at my top two or three.</p>

<p>And I just took the ACT for the first time in June and to my COMPLETE bewilderment...I got a 35 composite. All of a sudden, my plans went from studying for the SAT some this summer and in the fall to possibly forgoing even taking the SAT I again. I am applying to a lot of ivies and some other dream schools of mine: Duke, Northwestern, UChicago, and to an extent, Emory. I know my 35 ACT composite puts me well in the upper 25% at most of these schools.</p>

<p>However, from research today, I found out that no matter what official policies say, there is a, perhaps unconscious, preference for the SAT over ACT in admission decisions. The top schools all prefer the aptitude-based SAT over the arguably "easier" ACT. In the case of Princeton, I heard the SAT preference is rather pronounced. The official concordance chart puts a 35 ACT equal to a 2330 SAT. However, from what I've read, the 35 ACT score is far less impressive than an SAT score even as low as a 2250 (low relative to the comparison chart that is, i know 2250 is a stellar score).</p>

<p>My dad wants me to retake the SAT again in October as he believes I have learned much from the time I took it in January and a notable improvement is inevitable, and I would say he is correct. However, deciding to take the SAT again means having to worry about studying I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHEN considering my senior schedule will be very rigorous and I will have college apps to worry about.</p>

<p>My question is, if I STRONGLY WISH to be admitted to ivies and other top colleges, would it be wiser for me to submit my strong ACT(35) and strong Sat Subject test scores(top two=800, 800) along with my mediocre SAT I score(2100) and use the rest of the summer and fall to polish everything else that involves college admissions? Or should I retake the SAT I(will most likely improve) in an attempt to closer match it with my ACT score(35) and please the top colleges (who clearly do regard the SAT greater--over 90% of admits submit SAT scores whereas usually under 20% submit ACT scores according to Common Data Sets). Keep in mind if I decide to take the SAT, a whole new plate of stress will be added to my next few months, possibly hurting EC's, the rest of my application, or my ability to perform well senior year.</p>

<p>**Also one important thing is that I am in the Atlanta area in Georgia, and therefore an SAT-dominant area. I heard good ACT scores from an SAT-dominant area raises the eyebrows of admin officers :/</p>

<p>Thanks so much collegeconfidential, the help I've received here has been phenomenal :)</p>

<p>You are absolutely overthinking this. ACT or SAT, they could care less about which one you choose to submit. They care about a getting a number from you, and the closer it is to 36 or 2400, the better.</p>

<p>from all the threads out there that say "SAT vs ACT", half the people say "oh ACT and SAT are equal" and the other half say "i know someone in [top ivy's] admissions office who KNOWS the SAT is more prestigious, more indicative of an intelligent student, more common/competitive, and therefore more highly looked upon." i think thats definitely saying something...</p>

<p>bump 10char</p>

<p>I am curious as to what evidence you have found that colleges prefer the SAT, despite their statements to the contrary. I have researched this a little bit, but have only been able to find statements that some colleges have historically preferred the SAT but now accept them equally, or statements that "everybody knows" the SAT is preferred. Could this be a case of the myth being repeated so often that people now believe it?</p>

<p>I have noticed that some colleges report the SAT statistics of admitted students but not the ACT statistics. However, this could be due to the fact that more applicants submit SATs than ACTs.</p>

<p>If admission officers are truly trying to find the best students for their colleges (as they have an incentive to do), why would they have a secret policy of preferring those who submit SATs? Wouldn't the SAT/ACT concordance table take this into account (by assigning a lower comparative value to an ACT score than to an SAT score)?</p>

<p>You should just submit your ACT. And if the colleges you're applying to use score choice, you don't have to show them your SAT test... I think?</p>

<p>Your ACT score is great. Your SAT score is good.</p>

<p>If you have the time to study and can handle an additional test, then take the SAT again.</p>

<p>But if you need the time to work on your college essays (very important for top colleges), college apps, senior classes and ECs, then skip the SAT.</p>

<p>You need the whole package for top schools. Only you know how much you can handle.</p>

<p>thanks everyone</p>

<p>yes peachaso but many of the top schools require SAT subject test scores in addition to the SAT Reasoning or ACT. to send in SAT Subjects you must also send in your SAT reasoning, from what I know</p>

<p>From Princeton "The SAT is strongly preferred, but ACT (with Writing) scores are accepted" If you can get up into the 2200 and 2300's, then do it.</p>

<p>Is there some evidence to this in the Princeton website. i.e, SAT is prefered?</p>

<p>^ No. They used to prefer the SAT but now their official position is that they are considered equally.</p>