Retaking a class and Graduate school for Int. relations

<p>Hi, I am a sophmore and I took American Government in my Freshman year at got a C because the professor is very hard and does not give out high grades. My school offers a thing called grade forgiveness where I can retake a class, and my GPA has the new grade in the class added in, and the C is taken out in calculating my gpa. </p>

<p>I know that I will get an A in this class if I do the grade forgiveness but I am trying to figure out if it will actually be worthwhile to do this if I am planning to apply to graduate school. Currently my GPA is a 3.7 and doing the grade forgiveness will bump me up to a 3.8. I hope to go to a top graduate school in international relations and need to know if I should just move on and continue to get high grades, or if I should use the grade forgiveness. I will still be able to graduate as a double major on time, and it will not hold me back if I do it.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>anyone have an opinion? There has been 50 people looking but no responses.</p>

<p>Meh...I guess if you have the time for it and you are sure that it can only help you, I cannot see why not. That said, I think a 3.7 is still a pretty decent GPA.</p>

<p>So, really it is up to you if it is worth it. I would not stress too hard over one C, but if the class is very important to your major it may be worth retaking and showing that you can/have mastered the material.</p>

<p>Yeah, it totally depends on the class. In terms of GPA, a 3.7 to a 3.8 is not that big of a difference. In fact, for an admissions committee, it makes no difference. But if you think this is one of the core upper-level classes in your major, then I would give serious thought into retaking it. In fact, if it wouldn't hold you back, I would even suggest that you do retake it. But considering that you took it in your freshman year, I'm guessing that it's probably not that and it's probably some elective or some intro course, in which case, why waste your time and money. Why not make it a good thing and mention it in your personal statement about how you've learned through your failures in the best way possible (all A's in subsequent years)</p>

<p>the class was actually American National Government so it is a general education course. Its ridiculous that I got a C on it because I have gotten straight A's on all of my upper level international relations classes. I think I am just going to take something different because I think your point about mentioning it on my personal statement might be good.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help.</p>