Current Rider MT here We have students whose strengths range from being lifelong dancers to singer-songwriters, from multi-instrumentalists to actors who nail Neil Simon/Anton Chekhov/etc. I will add that dance is particularly emphasized here. However, we train to become triple+ threats.
Rider has an amazing collection of resources at its disposal, including:
- the university’s innovative popular music studies program – which encompasses everything from pop, jazz, rock, and country vocal performance to actual music recording technology and business
- the arts administration major/minor and the musical theatre BM in music direction
- members of our voice faculty, including Mariann Cook and others, who specialize in contemporary voice training and voice science (students of course also receive training in legit vocal technique)
- Westminster Choir College’s opera productions and classical training
- Robin Lewis and our other dance faculty who truly produce professional and multi-stylistic dancers
- an acting curriculum that utilizes Alexander, Michael Chekhov, Shakespeare, and tons of song analysis
- a huge and very competitive pond in terms of talent, student body, and casting, but a definite feeling of community
Rider MTs perpetuate the “work hard, play hard” ideal. A lot of us have jobs, minors, or even second majors (Many enter with a lot of AP or college credits, making this possible with our massive 121-credit-baseline degree - and many of us still choose to have 20+ credit semesters.) We act in university productions and ensembles but we also tend to have individual projects such as albums, record deals, professional productions/contracts, original plays, choreography, student-directed cabarets, and more. And we’re constantly taking the train into New York to see the latest on Broadway.
Visit the Rider MT Facebook page for info on what the school and our graduates are doing!