Risky essays for far reach school?

<p>Hi,
I'm just curious that when I write the colleges that I am not that likely be admitted such as USC (i think it's not that possible for me), should i try to write a more "risky" essay instead? my philosophy is that since I don't have a big chance of getting in already, should I just take a big risk?
My GPA and SAT score is pretty low compared to their applicants. I have 1920 on SAT combined so far and 3.78 weighted GPA (3.58 UW). Moreover, i'm an asian international student and from what I know, that is a fairly big disadvantage?</p>

<p>Is there a chance for a student to be admitted because he or she writes really well regardless of GPA and SAT/ACT? ( well, if she or he is in mid-range of the application pool of a school)</p>

<p>Depends on the essay you're thinking of. I would say shoot for more creative rather than calling it "risky." But yes, I would go all out on the essays.</p>

<p>Answer mine? <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1260515-chance-senior-georgetown.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1260515-chance-senior-georgetown.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Yes. I think risky essays are the way to go with reaches. Trust me as someone has has worked in college admissions, another self serious, this is why I excelled in MUN essay, won't get you into a reach.</p>

<p>I don't really understand when you said, " Trust me as someone has has worked in college admissions, another self serious, this is why I excelled in MUN essay, won't get you into a reach," especially the "MUN" part. Could you please explain a little bit more?</p>

<p>^He's talking about a typical boring/cliche essay, because a ton of kids just write about a club they did and how they excelled in it.</p>

<p>On topic, since I'm an applicant this year, I don't know how effective risky essays can be. However, it makes sense that you should definitely take risks with your essays if you're applying to reaches. Think about it, what do you have to lose? Nothing, because it's not like you're jeopardizing your chances at the school since your chances were slim anyway. What do you have to gain? Everything. Plus, the best way to stand out is to take risks, and like Waverly said, you can't stand out with a cliched "why I love MUN" or "how I overcame adversity after getting my first B+" essay.</p>

<p>Got it. thanks.</p>

<p>If you're an international student and are planning on writing a "risky" essay, I would definitely go for it! If you're chances are already slim, then you have to give everything you've got.
I would find someone to go over it for grammatical errors before you submit it though. Also, whoever's editing your essay could tell you whether or not it's "too risky", which could help. :)</p>